No Result
View All Result
Monday, February 16, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Tripoli NGO ups GNC attack on Hafter and Operation Dignity

byMichel Cousins
August 4, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

Tunis, 3 August 2015:

The Tripoli-based National Council of Civil Liberties and Human Rights (NCCLHR) has demanded an immediate . . .[restrict]end to military operations in Benghazi, blaming Operation Dignity led by General Khalifa Hafter almost entirely for the city’s misery and destruction.

“For more than a year, the city of Benghazi has been attacked and bombed by various types of heavy weapons and air strikes by the troops of retired Brigade (sic) Khalifa Haftar,” said an NCCLHR statement issued today but dated for the day after tomorrow. Operation Dignity had been a disaster for Benghazi, it declared, and had led to the displacement and migration of more than a hundred thousand residents. Rather than defeating terrorism, its stated goal, it had resulted in the deaths of hundreds of Libyan citizens and twice that in the number of those wounded. There had vast destruction of homes facilities and vital plants, it said. Among its several accusations, it said Hafter’s aircraft had used internationally banned cluster and gas bombs.

In what is being seen as a purely political statement, the organisation further accused Hafter’s forces of human rights violations including “random arrests, torture and degrading treatments in various illegal detention centres that are not subject to judicial police”.

RELATED POSTS

Atletico Madrid win Benghazi’s Reconstruction Cup after beating Inter Milan 4-3 on penalties – great political showpiece for Hafter

UNSMIL expresses concern over mobilisation of forces by Hafter and anti-Hafter forces

However, although there was a call on the UN to investigate all crimes in the city, including assassinations, there was no condemnation in the statement of the other side to the conflict, of Ansar Al-Sharia, the Benghazi Revolutionaries’ Shoura Council or the Islamic State (IS), or any mention of crimes they had committed.

The NCCLHR used to be seen as balanced and with integrity, condemning injustice wherever it saw it, whether in Tripoli, Benghazi or anywhere. It had, for example, planned to appeal against the Political Isolation. But late last year, because of intimidation in the capital, it stopped its work.

In its present existence, the NCCLHR is regarded by international human rights organisations as no longer independent and instead as an “affiliate” of the continuing General National Congress (GNC).

Anther supposed human rights organisation, Human Rights Solidarity, also working out of Tripoli and seen as closely allied to the GNC, similarly invests much of its efforts attacking Hafter’s activities in the east but not those of Ansar Al-Sharia or IS.

Neither appear concerned about human rights abuses in Tripoli or anywhere else in the county. [/restrict]

Tags: Human Rights SolidarityKhalifa HafterLibyaNational council of Civil Liberties and Human Rights

Related Posts

NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

China appoints Ma Xueliang as its new ambassador to Libya – after a 10-year gap

February 13, 2026
After a ten-year hiatus, Al-Khadra hospital’s Eye Clinic reopens
Libya

Al-Hadaba Al-Khadra General Hospital announces resumption of hip replacement surgeries after a two-year hiatus

February 12, 2026
Next Post
Public Prosecutor to investigate alleged Saadi Qaddafi torture video

Public Prosecutor to investigate alleged Saadi Qaddafi torture video

Mediterranean migrant deaths reach 2,000, majority on ''deadliest'' Libya route: IOM

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Saif al-Islam Qaddafi buried in Bani Walid next to his brother – thousands attend funeral as supporters of former regime display old green flag

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.