No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Sarir power station shuts down

byMichel Cousins
August 14, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporter.

Sarir power station, victim of frequent cuts
Sarir power station (File photo)

Beida, 14 August 2015:

Sarir power station in eastern Libya has now fully shut down because of a strike . . .[restrict]by drivers transporting diesel fuel to the plant.

“Production stopped on Wednesday after almost two weeks of struggle to maintain output,” Sarir power station manager, Hashim Al-Malki, told the Libya Herald.

Some 25 trucks a day had been driven from Brega, Ras Al-Minghar (Benghazi) and Tobruk down to Sarir to fuel two of the plant’s three turbines. (The third turbine has been out of action since it was hit in an attack in February last year.) But the drivers had stopped delivering a fortnight ago, Al-Malki explained, because of constant assaults on them by militia guards at Checkpoint 60, 60 kilometres south of Ajdabiya. The drivers, he said, had complained about assaults by the guards at the Checkpoint 60 but there had been no response from anyone, so they finally decided to go on strike.

RELATED POSTS

PowerElec 2025 will be held from 8-11 December at Tripoli International Fairgrounds

Libya’s annual fuel bill rose to US$ 12 bn due to increased electricity production

The guards are believed to be members of the Zwai tribe from Ajdbaiya. Although it is claimed that they are sympathetic to Libya Dawn, it is thought the real reason is that they are looking for money and hope to be bought off by the government in Beida.

The deliveries had enabled the two turbines to produce just over 400 MW, but that when down to 70 MW once the strike started, as the station used up reserve fuel supplies. These were now exhausted.

Even before the strike, maintaining the plant had been a major effort, Al-Malki said. There had been no delivery of spares from the German manufacturers since the revolution, he said.

“The GECOL engineers at the Sarir have done incredible work since the beginning of the revolution in 2011. But we lack spare parts, although we managed to keep the facility at work. But we can not keep it going without fuel,” he complained.

Last week, the head of the internationally-unrecognised government in Tripoli, Khalfa Ghwell, had claimed that Sarir would be one of the sources for an extra 950 MW being added to the national electricity grind and so reduce power outages significantly. They have reduced, to about six hours a day in the capital, but most of that is thought to result from the closure of the Lisco iron and steel works in Misrata and its power station output being added to the grid. [/restrict]

Tags: electricityfeaturedLibyaSarir power station

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

CBL takes action to halt sliding LD black market exchange rate

Army in Tripoli parades to celebrate 75th anniversary; public dismissive

Army in Tripoli parades to celebrate 75th anniversary; public dismissive

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.