No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Mediterranean migrant deaths reach 2,000, majority on ”deadliest” Libya route: IOM

bySami Zaptia
August 4, 2015
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A

By Libya Herald reporter.

Italian coastguards intercept a boatload of illegal migrants
Italian coastguards intercept a boatload of illegal migrants

Tunis, 4 August 2015:

Over 2,000 migrants have died so far this year trying to cross the Mediterranean to . . .[restrict]Europe – the majority of whom departed from Libya, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) said today.

The IOM said that these figures confirm that the Libya route was the ‘’deadliest’’ for migrants wishing to reach Europe. This year’s figures have surpassed the 2014 deaths for the same period totalling 1,607.

A total of 3,279 lives were lost in 2014.

RELATED POSTS

UN lunches US$ 71 million Libya floods appeal, WHO and Red Cross advise against mass burials

Latest UN satellite imagery shows extent of Storm Daniel destruction in Derna

The IOM says that unseaworthy vessels used by smugglers and traffickers significantly increase the likelihood of tragedies occurring.

Approximately 188,000 migrants have been rescued in the Mediterranean so far this year and the IOM believes that more migrants will attempt to reach European shores as the summer progresses, and that the 200,000 mark will be reached very soon.

Libya has been at the centre of the migration crises across the Mediterranean and into Europe as its political divisions have left many ungoverned spaces with weak central government control. This lack of monopoly on the legitimate use of force caused by the split of the Libyan state has left a vacuum for people trafficking.

The UN has been mediating talks between the two main Libyan factions and a draft agreement has been initialized by most of the antagonists – but not all.

The international community is eager that one stronger unified Libyan government is in place sooner rather than later so that it can offer help in combatting illegal migration and the growing threat of Daesh/IS in Libya. [/restrict]

Tags: DAESH/ISIOM International Organizatin for MigrationmigrantUN

Related Posts

UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

August 31, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Long power cuts make very hot Libyan summer even more unbearable

Long power cuts make very hot Libyan summer even more unbearable

Italy takes active role in latest Libya reconciliation efforts

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.