No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

US Libya airstrike kills seven terror suspects including Algerian AQIM leader Mokhtar Belmokhtar

byNigel Ash
June 15, 2015
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
US Libya airstrike kills seven terror suspects including Algerian AQIM leader Mokhtar Belmokhtar

Mokhtar Belmokhtar, the AQIM leader behind the Algerian gas plant massacre (file photo)

By Adam Ali.

Mokhtar Belmokhtar, the AQIM leader behind the Algerian gas plant massacre (file photo)
Mokhtar Belmokhtar, the AQIM leader behind the Algerian gas plant massacre (file photo)

Benghazi 14 June 2015:

In what could be the first extension of the Washington-led air war against terrorists in Syria . . .[restrict]and Iraq, the US today killed seven leading members of Libya’s Al-Qaeda-linked Ansar Al-Sharia in an airstrike on a farm outside Ajdabiya.

One of the victims of the raid, which happened at 2am this morning, was the Algerian Mokhtar Belmokhtar, former leader of Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) who was accused of organising the January 2013 attack on Algeria’s desert  Im-Amenas gas processing plant, in which 39 hostages and an Algerian guard died.

Belmokhtar, 43, also known as Khaled Abou El Abbas or Laaouar, is believed to have survived an assassination attempt in Qasr Ben Gashir last year. He was known to have been in Sirte recently. Last December there was a mystery helicopter attack on a camp near Traghen, south of Sebha which was believed to house militants connected with Belmokhtar.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

This morning’s raid reportedly targeted a farm, 18 kilometres outside Ajdabiya which is owned by Al-Saadi al-Nofali, one of Ansar’s leaders in the town. It is understood that a number of senior militants was meeting there. Locals reported an earth-shattering explosion which they compared to the bomb and missile strikes during the NATO air war during the revolution. A  photo clearly taken several hours after the attack, when it was light,  shows a distant plume of black smoke .

Smoke said to be rising from the farm after the US attack (photo: social media)
Smoke said to be rising from the farm after the US attack (photo: social media)

Washington earlier this evening confirmed the raid against a “mid-level Al-Qaeda operative in Libya” but declined to give a location. Pentagon spokesman Col Steve Warren said that it was thought that the raid had been successful but the outcome was still being assessed. However, ABC later quoted a government official confirming that the target had been Belmokhtar, who could hardly be described as a mid-level commander.

To have mounted such a strike precisely when senior terror suspects were meeting suggests a high level of intelligence.

The government in Beida issued a statement that said that the US had consulted it in advance of the raid.

“The Libyan government confirms that this operation is part of the international support which has long been called for by the interim Libyan government to fight terrorism, which has become a dangerous obsession at the regional and international situation”. It called for further “consultation and co-ordination” to counter IS control of Sirte, its westward push toward Misrata, to the south toward Jufra and its drive into the oil crescent”.

A local in Ajdabiya told the Libya Herald this evening that Ansar, IS and Ajdabiya Shura Council members had tended to mix. The roadblock near the farm attacked this morning, initially assumed to be the target, was generally manned by militants from all three groups.

After the farm attack, there was an attempt to bring the wounded into town for treatment at Al-Magrief hospita. It was met with stiff resistance both from ordinary citizens but also troops from the Libya Army 151 Battalion’s base in the town, attacked last week in a property dispute and members of Ibrahim Jadhran’s Petroleum Facilities Guard.

Video footage showed locals and military units firing down a broad boulevard towards the approaching Ansar, IS and Shura Council forces. The fighting appears to have been heavy and this evening the names were released of five dead among the defenders. Two soldiers, Ahmed Elhouderi and Mograbi were killed along with civilians, Ali Younes Zatar Zwai, Ayman Alstrh Kabyle and Daud Saaiti. There were also 18 injured. Casualties among the attackers are unknown.

 

LCDF support banner [/restrict]

Tags: ajdabiyafeaturedLibyaMokhtar BelmokhtarUS raid

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Next Post
Hafter sacks Faraj Barasi a second time

Hafter sacks Faraj Barasi a second time

Libyan oil production up to 500,000 bpd: NOC

Top Stories

  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.