No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Ceasefire agreement in Obari between Tebu and Tuareg

byMichel Cousins
July 25, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

Tuareq and Tabu statement
Tuareq and Tabu statement in . . .[restrict]Obari
By Saber Ayyub.
Tripoli, 3 June 2015:

Tuareg and Tebu elders in Obari have agreed a ceasefire as a prelude to a permanent peace deal.

“A total ceasefire has been agreed which started at midnight last night,” the Libya Herald has been told by Osama Al-Thinni, a Tuareg local activist in the town but forced by the fighting to move to Sebha. “Also elders have agreed that the ceasefire agreement is a preface to a permanent peace agreement which they are both currently working on,” he added.

The agreement was ratified at a large meeting yesterday evening in Tuareg-majority Obari between elders of the two communities.

There have been numerous attempts by leading Libyan figures to mediate a an end to the fighting between the Tuaregs and Tebus which broke out last September. Last month, Prime Minister Abdullah Al-Thinni met with representatives from both communities but despite this, fierce clashes continued.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

The latest efforts are have involved the head of the Libyan armed forces, General Khalifa Hafter. According to the pro-House of Representatives office in Beida of the Libyan news agency LANA, Hafter has met a delegation from the Council of Tuareg Tribes and agreed to their request and that from the Tebus to mediate a permanent peace between. The meeting took place in Marj this week.

Last night’s agreement in Obari, however, appears to have nothing to do with the Prime Minister or Hafter or the main leaders of the Tebus and Tuareg. It is an agreement between local elders faced with the fact that life in Obari is now “impossible”, as Osama Al-Thinni put it. “There is no water, no food, no hospital.” The elders had been pushed to agree a deal to put an end to the bloody war, and without outside intervention, he said.

Khalifa Hafter meets with Tuareg in Marj (Photo: LANA)
Khalifa Hafter meets with Tuareg in Marj (Photo: LANA)

[/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibyaObariTebutuareg

Related Posts

Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June
Libya

Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

May 15, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

May 12, 2026
Next Post

Cyrenaican tribes call for restoration of 1951 constitution

Cairo tribal conference marred by final brawl

Top Stories

  • Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

Minister of Housing from Baku: Completion and construction of 150,000 housing units and the transition towards smart cities‎ is the aim

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.