No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

LNA claims to take checkpoint of Heera amid continuing expectations of Gharyan ceasefire

byMichel Cousins
July 9, 2017
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
LNA claims to take checkpoint of Heera amid continuing expectations of Gharyan ceasefire

The Heera entry it Ghanian (Photo: Social media)

By Libya Herald reporter.

The Heera entry it Ghanian (Photo: Social media)
The Heera entry to Gharyan (Photo: Social media)

Tripoli, 26 April 2015:

Zintani and Warshefani units linked to the Libyan National Army (LNA) are reported to have . . .[restrict]today to taken the Heera checkpoint 25 kilometres north of Gharyan from Libya Dawn following clashes there between the two. Separately, Dawn says it bombed a LNA convoy which had arrived at Gwalish, the town some 40 kilomtres west of Gharyan and under LNA control. It was also reported to have bombed the Zintan-controlled Wattiya airbase, but there was no damage.

They constituted the main military action in the area in a day that was otherwise quiet with both sides waiting to see if a peace deal in the area would be announced.

Talks between Gharyan, which supports Libya Dawn, and the opposition Zintani-Warshefana alliance have been mediated by elders from nearby Al-Asaba but were said to have collapsed overnight despite a separate agreement between the Warshefana and Misrata’s Zawiat Al-Mahjoub Brigade. Under this latter deal, the brigade have agreed to withdraw from the entire west-of-Tripoli area.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Misrata’s Halbous Brigade had already pulled out.

Under the Gharyan deal, the LNA is said to have offered to lift its blockade of Gharyan in return for the latter handing over its weapons and freeing military prisoners. Other points were that Gharyan would:

  • Disband local militias;
  • Hand over checkpoints to the LNA;
  • Prohibit the wearing of military uniforms by anyone other than LNA members;
  • Enable the police to return to work.

Reports of the talks collapsing are being linked to local pro-Dawn militia leader Adel Daab rallying forces in the town against any deal. In a televised statement he said that Gharyan would fight to the last drop of its blood.

It is not thought, however, that this will be the last word on the matter. Residents in Gharyan are known to be tired of the fighting and want a solution. In what may be significant, there was no representative from Gharyan at a meeting yesterday in Tripoli of senior of Dawn leaders to discuss operations on the western front, although this may have been due to difficulties in travelling between Gharyan and the capital.

There are, however, distinctly mixed messages coming out of Dawn about operations in the west. One of the aims of meeting itself was to discuss a truce in the west.

Many Misratans have already made up their minds on the matter.

The Zawiat Al-Mahjoub brigade, one of the main units in Misrata, today announced it was pulling out of the Warshefana area. In its statement the brigade said it had decided to do so because of the suffering it had seen. But in a warning to the Warshefana, widely regarded elsewhere in the country as still being Qaddafi sympathisers, it said that it would return to deal with anyone hoping to resurrect the former regime and they would be treated without mercy.

Misrata’s Halbous Brigade had already withdrawn.

The decision by both has drawn bitter condemnation from the city’s hardline military and political figure, Salah Badi. He has accused brigades from his city of betraying the revolution.

However, he does not have substantial military forces of his own and his influence in Misrata is seen as being on the wane.

For their part, the Warshefana’s aim appears to be limited and, like the Zintanis, do not intend to go into Tripoli despite reports from the commander of the Libya armed forces, General Khalifa Hafter, that the liberation of the capital is imminent.

Senior Warshefana commanders last week told a Libya Herald contact that under no circumstances would they enter the capital. Their objective, they said, was to secure the Warshefana district.

The promise, however, does not appear to include the Libya Dawn western suburb of Janzour, formerly part of the Warshefana-domimated Jafara district and which, until Dawn took over the capital last summer, contained a large Warshefana population. Many of these however, have since fled. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredGharyanLibya

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 18, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Next Post

Former Tobruk radio announcer to direct HoR media department

Kidnapped TV crew reported executed by IS

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • LIA discusses with China’s Chargé d’affaires reinvesting Libya’s Security Council frozen assets to preserve their value

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of technical study assessing existing damage to Zumurrud Mall project completed

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.