No Result
View All Result
Monday, February 16, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Austrian and Czech diplomats head to Tripoli for talks on kidnapped nationals

byMichel Cousins
March 9, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

 Tunis, 9 March 2015:

Austrian and Czech diplomats are heading to Libya to try and make contact with IS . . .[restrict]after it was accused of kidnapping some nine oil workers in the Ghani oil field on Friday.

Petroleum Facilities Guards (PFG) who re-captured the oil field, south of Sirte, say eight of their colleague seized by militants at the site were subjected to a ritual beheading by IS, which then escaped with its foreign captives.

Army spokesman Ahmed al-Mesmari has claimed that a worker who saw the beheading and reported it has since died of a heart attack.

RELATED POSTS

Harouge Oil Operations brings new well B120 at Amal field online with 1,800 bpd

Harouge Oil Company brings well B-119 in Amal field online with production capacity of 1,100 barrels per day

The Austrian plant manager, a 39-year-old from the city of Linz, was kidnapped at the plant along with a Czech, a Bangladeshi and Ghanaian and four Filipinos, all employees with Austria’s VAOS, an oil services and engineering firm. The nationality of the ninth captive has not been disclosed.

In Prague, officials said a second Czech worker in Libya made contact on Saturday to say he was safe, but it was unclear if he was also working at Ghani.

Bangladesh and the Philippines both confirmed that their nationals had been captured in the raid, with Filippino officials saying they were offering help for hundreds more nationals wishing to leave Libya.

Investigations are hampered because almost all western embassies in Libya have closed, with much of the country torn by war. Austrian officials have arrived in the southern Tunisian town of Djerba and are expected to travel to Tripoli by land and make contact with Libya Dawn authorities there.

Questions may also be asked about why foreign employees remained at Ghani, in a region of the country where IS had already struck at three oil fields from its bases to the north at Sirte and Nawfalia. The oilfield had been shut down following the attack in February on Mabruk oilfield and most staff evacuated. However, it is thought that a small number remained for maintance reasons.

Many foreign oil companies have long since evacuated their own staff after a string of attacks and kidnappings, including the ritual execution of 21 Christians in Sirte last month, 20 of the Egyptian Copts.

VAOS has worked in Libya for nearly thirty years, establishing its plant at Ghani in 1986. It has extensive contracts in Eastern Libya, working also with Benghazi-based Agoco, a state owned oil company, though it is unclear how many staff VAOS now has in the country.

The company worked at Ghani alongside its client Harouge Oil Operations and states on its website that the site has “significant development potential.”

A senior Austrian foreign ministry official Michael Linhart, said “there is neither a sign of life nor a death proof,” regarding the missing men, with no contact since the attack.

IS units have struck four oil fields in the area south of Sirte, with Libya’s National Oil Corporation declaring a total of 11 have been shut down as a result of the fighting. The PFG which recaptured Ghani, says it lacks the manpower and weapons to secure all the country’s sprawling oil fields.

  [/restrict]

Tags: AustriaCzech RepublicHarouge Oil OperationsLibyaPetroleum Facilities GuardsVAOS

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post
Libyans could save a power station-worth of energy with basic eco measures, say UK academics

Libyans could save a power station-worth of energy with basic eco measures, say UK academics

German embassy denies offering humanitarian asylum to Libyans

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Saif al-Islam Qaddafi buried in Bani Walid next to his brother – thousands attend funeral as supporters of former regime display old green flag

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

Ministry of Industry exploring establishing two-million-ton annual capacity “environmentally friendly” cement plant with China’s Goodwill Ceramic

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.