No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

China to provide aid for Libya, offers military training: Tarik Geroushi

byMichel Cousins
March 21, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

Tariq Geroushi (right) with Chinese ambassador (2nd left) Libyan Ambassador to Tunis (2nd right) and Chinese military attaché (Photo: Tariq Garoushi's Facebook page)
Tariq Geroushi (right) with Chinese ambassador (2nd left), Libyan Ambassador to Tunis (2nd right) and Chinese military attaché (Photo: Tariq Garoushi’s Facebook page)

Tunis, 1 March 2015:

China is to send humanitarian aid to Libya to help internally displaced people there, according . . .[restrict]to Benghazi House of Representatives (HoR) member Tariq Geroushi.

In a post in his Facebook page, Geroushi, the son of the commander of the Libyan air force, said that the aid would arrive next week.

The disclosure follows talks in Tunis between him and the Chinese ambassador to Libya, Li Zhiguo, who, Geroushi noted, had reiterated Beijing’s recognition of the HoR and the Thinni government.

RELATED POSTS

Tripoli based Libyan PM Aldabaiba takes part in Q&A as part of Tripoli Media Days – talks about Russia, corruption, El-Kaber, Bengdara and elections

Facilities Security Authority meets Russian and Italian ambassadors – discusses training and provision of security to returning companies

The meeting was arranged by the Libyan Ambassador to Tunis, Mohamed Al Maalul. It was also attended by the Chinese military attaché to Libya.

According to the UNHCR, there were 64,000 internally displaced people in Libya as of July 2014. The figure is said to have climbed at least sevenfold since then as a result of fighting in both the west and the east. In mid-November, the UNHCR said that almost 400,000 Libyans were displaced and that in the previous month some 100,000 had fled their homes because of fighting ­– 56,500 from Benghazi alone.

It is now thought that over 100,000 Benghazinos have flef their homes.

In a potentially even more significant development, Geroushi claimed that China had offered to provide training for the Libya army as well as unspecified equipment and explosives experts to help it in the fight against terrorism.

In Beijing meanwhile, Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi, in a meeting with his Egyptian counterpart, Sameh Shukri, who arrived there on Friday, is reported to have discussed ways to support the Thinni government and prevent arms being supplied to terrorist groups in Libya.

The potential new relationship with China follows the same pattern as with Russia. Both had been close partners with the Qaddafi regime and consequently fell firmly out of favour after the revolution as Libya swung westwards, viewing the US and Europe as its main allies. However, this is now changing as the US and the UK in particular take the position that Libya cannot be given any arms to fight IS until a government of national unity is installed.

Last month former foreign minister Mohamed Abdulaziz who now serves as the HoR’s ambassador-at-large was in Moscow looking to to a new military relationship with the Russians. Although Moscow is reported to be extremely interested it is not clear how this is developing. Prime Minister Abdullah Al-Thinni was widely reported to be heading to Russia to discuss military support after last week’s visit to Cairo, but in the event he returned to Libya. [/restrict]

Tags: ChinafeaturedLibyaRussia

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Power cuts continue in Tripoli

Thinni condemns British UN ambassador over TV interview

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.