No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Early end to Benghazi battle may be premature

bySami Zaptia
February 25, 2016
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Early end to Benghazi battle may be premature

(Graphic: Mutaz Gedalla)

By Libya Herald reporter.

(Graphic: Mutaz Gedalla)
The Benghazi front lines between the Libyan National Army and the Islamist coalition of the Benghazi Shura Council (Graphic: Mutaz Gedalla)

Malta, 8 February 2015:

Reports that the Karama/Libyan National Army (LNA) in Benghazi control 90 percent of the city . . .[restrict]and have pushed the Benghazi Shoura Council (BSC) coalition from Suq Al-Hout (the fish market) are premature, sources confirmed to Libya Herald today.

Last week Libya Herald quoted a military source from Benghazi saying that the army had initially taken the Suq il Hoot area. But later the source reported that the army withdrew from the area. It now seems that the army has not been able to hold the area.

The Suq Al-Hout-Sabri area, a continuation north along the coast from the port area, is an important enclave for the BSC-Ansar Sharia coalition, as it would be the only remaining piece of territory in under their control in the heart of Benghazi.

RELATED POSTS

Libya’s Tika Construction Chemicals company exports another shipment of its Xtreme porcelain tile adhesive and grouting materials to Grenada

“Made in Libya” exhibition to be held in Benghazi from 10 to 13 August

Yesterday, fighting intensified further on a number of fronts. LNA air force commander Saqr Adam Geroushi told the Libya Herald that fighting was taking place in Buhdeima, Buatni, Leithi, Ganfouda, Gwarsha, Halees and Sabri. As well as tanks and missiles being used, helicopters had been deployed to bomb Ansar positions, particularly in Buatni and Hawari.

The decision to attack on multiple fronts came from operation Dignity leader Khalifa Haftar, Geroushi said, after 210 fully armed fighters had arrived at Ganfouda (south of the city) by boat from Misrata to reinforce Ansar Al-Sharia.

And even though Colonel Mohamed Hejazi, spokesman for Operation Dignity, told Libya Herald that yesterday’s fighting was the start of a “decisive” battle to finally destroy Ansar Al-Sharia in the city, he confirmed that he did not know when the battle would finish.

It is for this reason that some analysts feel that the predictions that Benghazi will be cleared of the BSC coalition forces very soon, could be premature. They may be pushed out of the central densely urbanized area of Benghazi, but they may take longer to dislodge from the widespread periphery of the city.

Equally, the BSC-Ansar coalition have access to many possible landing points south beyond Ganfouda along the coast through which to receive further reinforcements.

It is also thought that they may start to avoid the open confrontational tactic of fighting and may resort to hit and run and guerilla type urban warfare. Mutaz Gedalla, a Benghazi resident, active blogger (www.wakeupbenghazi.com) and close follower and mapper of the Benghazi battles, felt that the LNA may not be in control of as much as 90 percent of central Benghazi just yet (see Gedalla’s map).

 

The Benghazi front lines between the Libyan National Army and the Islamist coalition of the Benghazi Shura Council (Graphic: Mutaz Gedalla)
The Benghazi front lines between the Libyan National Army and the Islamist coalition of the Benghazi Shura Council (Graphic: Mutaz Gedalla)

 

Gedalla, who says he drives around Benghazi every day, confirmed to Libya Herald today that the LNA control the port, but that fighting was still going on in the Suq Il Hoot area north of Benghazi port. Freedom square was still under Ansar control he added.

He confirmed that there are safe areas for residents to drive in now, after the LNA had cleared them from the BSC forces. ”All areas controlled by the (LNA) army are safe. But areas where there are clashes are not safe, as well as areas in Ansar control’’, he added.

Asked about the mood of the residents, Gedalla said that they were mixed. ‘’People have mixed feelings. They are happy that the army is going to take control, and kind of unhappy with the mass destruction of the city (as a result of the fighting).

Many families are refugees now’’, he explained ‘’and it will take time for the maintenance (of their properties) to be enable them to return’’.

”Yes it’s safe to walk and drive in areas controlled by the army. Yes, every day I drive around. It is just normal life. It is safe with a lot of traffic from 11 am – 5 pm’’, he added. [/restrict]

Tags: Ansar Al-ShariaBenghaziBSC Benghazi Shura CouncilfeaturedKarama DignityLNA Libyan National Army

Related Posts

UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

August 31, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Next Post
IS claim to take over Libyan town near Ben Jawad

IS claim to take over Libyan town near Ben Jawad

EU ready to introduce restrictive measures against ‘’spoilers of dialogue’’ and obstructers of democracy

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.