No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Thinni government expresses “deep gratitude” for firefighters at Sidra

byNewsdesk1
January 4, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Thinni government expresses “deep gratitude” for firefighters at Sidra

By Jamal Adel.

firefighters
Firefighters at Sidra oil port put out the fire after nine days (Photo: Social Media)

 

Tripoli, 4 January 2015:

The Libyan government, headed by Prime Minister Abdullah Al-Thinni in Beida, has said that it was . . .[restrict]“deeply grateful” and appreciative for the teams of firefighters who put out the oil tank fires at Sidra oil port last week. It added that it was looking at how it could compensate them for their efforts.

Following up an official statement released Sunday morning expressing its gratitude, government spokesperson Mohamed Kamal Bazaza told the Libya Herald: “We totally appreciate the tremendous and incredible effort made by the firefighters at Sidra.”

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

The oil tanks at Libya’s largest oil port were hit on 25 December. It is claimed that the missiles were launched by Libya Dawn forces from a vessel at sea. After the first tank caught fire, it was only a day and a half before it collapsed, causing an oil spill and the spread of the fire to two more tanks. Eventually, the blaze spread to more tanks, bringing the total to seven burning oil tanks.

At first, the government called upon Germany, Italy and the United States for help, but their hands were tied because neither warring party would agree to the ceasefire that would allow outside forces to enter and help put out the fires.

The government then looked at contracting a US company for the job, with an estimated cost of $6 million.

Fortunately, even though the firefighters lacked adequate resources and the proper training for such a massive undertaking, as those who pitched in were not only firemen from Brega, Sidra and Ras Lanuf terminals, but also oil engineers, they were able to fully extinguish the flames without outside help on Friday, after nine days.

“We are very aware of the risk the firefighters took to put out the fire, especially given their lack of equipment and training for a disaster of this magnitude,” Bazaza said.

Bazaza went on to explain that the government was not only fearful of a further spread of the fire, but also of the effects of the fires on air quality and the potential of a further oil spill.

“The teams have given us all a significant boost through their commitment and patriotism,” Bazaza said. [/restrict]

Tags: Abdullah Al-ThinniLibyaLibya DawnSidra oil portthe Libyan National Army

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Iraqi professor kidnapped in Sirte

Deadly air attack on Greek tanker at Derna: Update

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

FX black-market has existed for years and decades, and eliminating it in a short period is impossible: CBL Governor Issa

Libyan Industry Union and National Economic and Social Development Board to sign MoU to support manufacturing business environment

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.