No Result
View All Result
Monday, February 16, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Defendants held in Misrata transferred to Tripoli for court hearing

byMichel Cousins
November 17, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
By Libya Herald staff.
17 November 2014:
The eight Qaddafi-regime era officials being . . .[restrict]held in Misrata were transferred to Tripoli to appear in court yesterday as part of a slow-moving trial that includes Qaddafi’s son Saif Al-Islam.
There were 31 defendants in the dock at Tripoli Appeals Court in Hadba Prison yesterday, including the eight from Misrata, the Head of the Investigations department at the Attorney General’s office, Sadiq Al-Sour told the Libya Herald. Another defendant was transferred from a prison facility at Mitiga Airport, he said.
There had been no previous mention of one of the defendants being detained in Mitiga, and it is not yet clear who this individual was.
A media representative at Hadba prison today confirmed that the man from Mitiga, who he did not name, was now being held in Hadba prison, upon orders of the Attorney General’s office. Without specifying names or numbers, he said some of the defendants had been returned to Misrata while others remained at Hadba.
Saif again did not appear in court via video link from the mountain town of Zintan where he is currently being held. The reason was the same given at the hearing a fortnight ago, Sour said — the security situation in the Jebel Nafusa, and in particular around Zintan, meant that it was impossible for technicians to reach the town to set up the video link. Saif’s lawyer was present at the hearing, however, he said.
Sour claimed that there were lawyers present for all defendants, including a lawyer for Saif. However, several Libyan TV channels reported that there were many absences among the legal teams for the defence, adding that absentees were issued with fines.
A number of witnesses for the defence were also present in court, Sour said, including those for Qaddafi’s former Prime Minister, Al-Baghdadi Al-Mahmoudi, who gave evidence.
Lawyers for Abdullah Senussi and Abuzeid Dorda requested that the trial be postponed, he said, because the witnesses for their defence did not attend the hearing. A number of other lawyers also requested adjournment, saying they still needed more time to prepare their cases.
The trial was adjourned until the 30 November.
No date has yet been given for the start of proceedings against Saadi Qaddafi, who will be tried in a separate hearing, as his case started later than the others following his extradition from Niger in March this year. Sour had said previously that a date was expected to be given within the next fortnight.

[/restrict]

RELATED POSTS

Demonstrations in Zuwara against the Zuwara Free Zone Development Project

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

Tags: LibyaSaadi QaddafiSaif Al-Islam

Related Posts

NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

China appoints Ma Xueliang as its new ambassador to Libya – after a 10-year gap

February 13, 2026
After a ten-year hiatus, Al-Khadra hospital’s Eye Clinic reopens
Libya

Al-Hadaba Al-Khadra General Hospital announces resumption of hip replacement surgeries after a two-year hiatus

February 12, 2026
Next Post

Copper thieves cause Sirte power cut

Tripoli authorities accused of inaction and deceit over heritage attacks

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Saif al-Islam Qaddafi buried in Bani Walid next to his brother – thousands attend funeral as supporters of former regime display old green flag

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.