No Result
View All Result
Sunday, May 24, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

UPDATE: Turkish special representative in Libya; in Tripoli meets with Hassi

byMichel Cousins
October 21, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
UPDATE: Turkish special representative in Libya; in Tripoli meets with Hassi

Turkey's Special Envoy to Libya, Emrullah Isler

By Libya Herald staff.

HAssi and Islar
Turkish Special Envoy Emrullah Isler meets with Omar Al-Hassi in Tripoli (Photo: Social media)

Benghazi, 21 October 2014:

Turkey’s new Special Envoy to Libya, Emrullah Isler, is the latest of the group of . . .[restrict]international special envoys to visit to Libya to assess the situation and hold talks with Libyan leaders. In his case, he also flew to Malta where the Prime Minister Abdullah Al-Thinni is on a two-day official visit.

In Tripoli, in a move that is likely to anger the UN and other countries, he broke with the international community’s refusal to recognise Omar Al-Hassi’s anti-government by meeting with him and his ministers.

Isler, a former deputy prime minister and Ankara MP for Turkey’s ruling Justice and Development Party who caused uproar earlier this month by tweeting his preference for IS over the outlawed Kurdish militant group the PKK , was appointed Special Envoy yesterday just before he left for Libya.

RELATED POSTS

The first Libyan Bosnian Business Forum held in Misrata deemed an economic turning point between the two countries

Libyan – Bosnian Business Forum – to be held from 29 to 30 March in Misrata

“In these critical times when there is a pressing need in Libya for political stability and the support of countries friendly to it, this visit  constitutes an opportunity to underscore that Turkey stands in solidarity with the people of Libya,” a Turkish Foreign Ministry statement said yesterday.

He started his visit by flying to Tobruk where he met House of Representatives President Ageela Saleh and a number of other HoR members. In the their talks, the Turkish envoy, like all the other international special envoys, stressed the need for an immediate cease-fire and for all parties to take part in dialogue. Military force would not bring peace and stability to Libya, he said.

He is also reported to have expressed Turkey’s continued willingness to help rebuild Libya. He then flew to Malta for talks with Thinni.

Today he flew to Misrata, the de facto master of Tripoli, where he met local officals as well as members of HoR who are boycotting its proceedings.

In Tripoli, he met with Omar Al-Hassi and members of the rump Congress appointed government – a development that is likely to further damage the already strained relations between Ankara and the international community over the IS in Syria.

Emrullah Isler arrives in Misrata today
Islar arrives in Misrata today (Photo: Social media)

The Turkish Chargé d’Affairs to Libya has meanwhile been to Tripoli to assess the situation there.

Last week, Italy’s Special Envoy Giuseppe Buccino Grimaldi, who is also Italian Ambassador to Tripoli, made a similar visit to Tobruk, Beida and Misrata, to meet most the same leaders but not any member of the Hassi anti-government.  He was there in support of the UN’s efforts to bring about agreement between the HoR’s supporters and boycotters. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibyaMisrataTripoliTurkey

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Thinni raises his media and communication performance to previously unseen heights

Libyan authors feature in prison writing collection

Libyan authors feature in prison writing collection

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.