No Result
View All Result
Sunday, May 24, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Egypt closes land border to truck drivers

byMichel Cousins
October 1, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Egypt closes land border to truck drivers

Egyptian border crossing

By Libya Herald staff.

Egyptian border crossing
Egyptian border crossing (Photo: courtesy of Al-Youm Al-Sabah )

Benghazi, 1 October 2014:

Egypt today closed the Sollum-Musaid border crossing to Egyptian trucks travelling to Libya. It will . . .[restrict]remain closed until 7 October. The reason, according to the Egyptian Director of Security at Mersa Matruh, Major-General Alanani Hamouda, is because of the Eid holiday and concerns about the number of trucks heading to Libya – the suggestion being that there are going to be too many for the reduced level of customs staff and border guards during the holiday period.

However, concerns about the safety of Egyptian truck drivers are believed to be the real reason. According to the Egyptian authorities, 150 Egyptian drivers and 75 trucks have been detained in Libya recently, mostly in and around Ajdabiya but also west of Tobruk.

The Egyptian Foreign Ministry, which is reported to have been trying to negotiate their release, has on several occasions recently warned drivers of the dangers of travelling westwards beyond Tobruk.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Railroads signs MoU with Chinese BFI Consortium for rail line to Egypt

23 flights of international aid from 12 states arrive in Libya within 24 hours – government asks UN to coordinate effort

It is unclear if the 150 were seized by the same people, at the same time or for the same reasons. Indeed, it is unclear how many were seized.

Last week it was reported that militants in Ajdabiya had detained up to 70 lorries and their drivers in an effort to force the Egyptian government to release a local man, Mohamed Salama, said to have been charged with smuggling arms into Egypt. However, the Egyptian news agency MENA reports that it was told by a member of Ajdabiya Municipal Council that only 30 drivers had been detained.

Another report claimed that Egyptian drivers had been seized on the desert road between Tobruk and Ajdabiya by protestors blockading the nearby Abu Tifl oilfield and demanding they be given jobs there.  It is said, however, that they were released after mediation by local elders. [/restrict]

Tags: ajdabiyaEgyptLibyaMersa Matruhmusaid

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
US-sponsored scholarship programme open for applications

US-sponsored scholarship programme open for applications

Provisional municipal election results for Ghat released

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Bosnia Herzegovina engineering company Energoinvest signs € 2.71 million contract with Libyan Iron and Steel Co to construct a power station

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.