No Result
View All Result
Thursday, February 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

“No negotiations” with Libya Dawn says Thinni, threatens to break relation with Sudan and Qatar

byMichel Cousins
September 15, 2014
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
“No negotiations” with Libya Dawn says Thinni, threatens to break relation with Sudan and Qatar

PM Abdullah Thinni (file photo)

By Libya Herald staff.

The Prime Minister says that an offensive
The Prime Minister says that an offensive against Libya Dawn will occur in Tripoli “within two weeks” (Photo: Grab from Sky New Arabia interview)

Benghazi, 14 September 2014:

The Prime Minister Abdullah Al-Thinni has ruled out any negotiations with Libya Dawn accusing it . . .[restrict]of murder, theft and destruction. In an interview with Sky News Arabia TV, he said it was linked to the Muslim Brotherhood which represented no more than five percent of the Libya people.

He also accused Sudan and Qatar of backing it and warned that they did not stop, diplomatic relations would be cut.

Moreover, he disclosed, there were plans “to take out the armed formations in Tripoli within two weeks” and he called on the capital’s residents to stand up to the armed militias and “get them out of the city”.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

In a forthright denunciation of the Islamists, he said they had lost the elections to the House of Representatives and so had resorted to violence and deception in their bid for power.

Calling them terrorists who had been involved in “the theft and burning of homes, looting and threatening people’s lives”, he declared there would be no dealing with them. “We do not negotiate with terrorists. We have to defend the Libyan people’s choice.” Dialogue would take place solely with those who recognised the legitimacy of the HoR.

The aim of the Libya Dawn was to control Libya and turn it into a Muslim Brotherhood state, he claimed. It imagined it could do it with the help of Qatar and Turkey, he said. But those two countries had been told not to interfere in Libya.

Only when the militias were taken out of the situation would Libyan citizens live a decent life, he said.

For the moment, though, “we do not have the ability to collect weapons”, he explained. He stressed the importance of the Air Force in targeting munitions stores belonging to the militants.

The next government, he also revealed, would be one of national unity. It would represent all political movements and all parts of the country.

As for the rump Congress in Tripoli, “it is illegal”, he insisted. It and Libya Dawn controlled less than a third of the country, but by force.

When Congress had been operating, he stated, it had fallen into the hands of the Muslim Brotherhood who had deliberately set out to prevent the rebuilding of the armed forces and instead were intent on building up the Brotherhood’s own military support.

The army’s own leadership, too, had been “hijacked” by the Brotherhood, he said, with the result that senior offers had given up while others had been targeted by assassins.

Equating some of the Islamists in Benghazi with the Nigerian terror group Boko Haram as well as claiming that supporters of Al-Qaeda were fighting alongside extremists in the country, he added that the lawful Libyan authorities were looking for help from the international community to smash terrorism in Libya.

That help would be forthcoming, he predicted.

So too would help from neighbouring states. Among them he heaped fulsome praise on Tunisia for its help and support to ordinary Libyans who had fled there because of the events in Tripoli. He also thanked the leader of Tunisian Muslim Brotherhood’s more moderate Ennahda party, Rachid Ghannouchi, who, he said, sought “to reunite the Libyan people”.

Sudan, however, was singled out for particular criticism. He accused it of supporting Libya Dawn and the other Islamist extremists. It had tried to send arms, he said, warning there would be consequences.

His government had already expelled its military attaché, he said. If it persisted with its present policy, “we will break off [diplomatic] relations”.

In the case of Qatar, he said it had succeeded in sending arms to Libya Dawn. Relations with it could be cut too if it did not stop. [/restrict]

Tags: Abdullah Al-ThinnifeaturedLibya

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 18, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Next Post
Ali Zeidan arrives in Tobruk with the German Ambassador

Ali Zeidan arrives in Tobruk with the German Ambassador

Beached whale rescued at Marsa El-Brega

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • National Development Agency signs partnership agreement with Signify Philips to enhance lighting projects in Libya

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of technical study assessing existing damage to Zumurrud Mall project completed

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.