No Result
View All Result
Monday, February 16, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

If security fails in Libya, the whole world will suffer – HoR member Abubaker Baera

bySami Zaptia
September 1, 2014
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

Tripoli, 1 September 2014:

Speaking in an extended interview on Libya Awalan TV Saturday night, House of Representatives (HoR) member . . .[restrict]Abubaker Baera said that “the General National Congress (GNC) has no legal or constitutional basis. They cannot let go of power. They do not want a political solution. They want a political crises”, he stressed.

Baera is the oldest member of the HoR and as a result acted as its president in its opening meeting. He lost out to Ageela Salah Issa in the election of president of the HoR.

“The GNC ‘s authority and rein are over. They are looking for a straw to hang on to power. The GNC’s Libya Dawn (military operation in Tripoli) is a political game which (like the GNC) is unrecognized by the international community. Baera pointed out how Algeria did not receive the former GNC president Nurri Abusahmain in a recent trip, as an example of lack of international recognition.

RELATED POSTS

Economic diversification conference held in Benghazi by HoR and CBL

HoR will not impose taxes on essential goods – but still studying and reviewing the idea

He contrasted Algeria’s snub of Abusahmain to the announcement last week by the Gulf Cooperation Council of its recognition of the legitimacy of the HoR. “The GNC is ill with power. They forget history quickly”, Baera said.

On the competing Prime Minister appointed by the GNC, Omar Al-Hassi, Baera said that Hassi was looking for a job explaining that Hassi had put forward his name unsuccessfully for other jobs, such as that of the prime minister. “Now he enters Libyan history in a bad light”, claimed Baera. Hassi’s GNC appointed government is “an overthrow of legitimacy”, said Baera

Division of Libya

Baera accused the anti HoR political stream of wishing to divide Libya. “The HoR has no part in the splitting of Libya. It is being forced upon us”.

International community sanctions

The international community should impose tough sanctions against the GNC and its supporters, Baera said, referring to the recent UN Security Council resolution. Baera said that he expects that a list of 250 people against whom there will be action taken will be released on Monday.

Baera admitted that the HoR did not do enough to contact the international community. “We should have sent delegations on a tour of countries to explain our case”, he explained.

“We should visit Russia. We have a lot of arms from them. We need to fix them and we need expertise from them”. On Turkey’s position on Libya, Baera thought that there may have been confusion between Libya and Turkey. “They invited the HoR president but he did not go. This could have been misinterpreted”.

Libya: a risk for international stability

Libya is a headache for its neighbours and the dispersion of weapons and the problem of illegal migration is a big problem, especially for Europe. If security fails in Libya, the whole world will suffer, Baera said ominously.

“The international community must help Libya collect the arms of the military groups in order to achieve internal stability in Libya”.

Democracy

“The losing party should learn to lose sportingly as happens in the rest of the world. In our country they do not accept defeat. This is the people’s will. The people turned on them in a big way after three years of the GNC without progress”, Baera said of the losing political stream that is currently opposing the HoR politically and militarily.

Libya’s Grand Mufti

Baera said that he thought that the Grand Mufti should be on top of the list of 250 people and referred to revelations in a recent Guardian (British) newspaper article which questioned how the Grand Mufti could be allowed to remain in the UK in view of his inciting comments.

Dialogue – not under the barrel of a gun

On the possibility of dialogue with those in opposition to the HoR, Baera said that there must be dialogue between all sectors of Libyan society, but that there could not be dialogue between the legitimate and constitutional HoR and an illegitimate and unconstitutional body – the GNC. ” There can be no dialogue under the barrel of a gun”, he stressed.

Thinni resignation and the new government

On the recent resignation of the Abdullah Thinni government, Baera said that it was right that his government resigned in order to enable the HoR to choose a new prime minister and government.

Baera thought that, in his personal view, Thinni should be reappointed as prime minister to avoid a divisive battle for prime minister and ministerial positions. He felt that Thinni should choose a reduced crises government of 9-10 ministers.

He also felt that there should be less Deputy Ministers and that Ministers should have a say in their appointment so that they do not become a burden to their Ministers.

Baera anticipated that the issue of the new Prime Minister and government would be debated by the HoR on Sunday. [/restrict]

Tags: democracyGNCHoR House of RepresentativessecurityThinni

Related Posts

NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

China appoints Ma Xueliang as its new ambassador to Libya – after a 10-year gap

February 13, 2026
After a ten-year hiatus, Al-Khadra hospital’s Eye Clinic reopens
Libya

Al-Hadaba Al-Khadra General Hospital announces resumption of hip replacement surgeries after a two-year hiatus

February 12, 2026
Next Post
HoR asks Thinni to lead new thinned-down government

HoR asks Thinni to lead new thinned-down government

HoR summons Grand Mufti and Central Bank Governor for questioning

HoR summons Grand Mufti and Central Bank Governor for questioning

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Saif al-Islam Qaddafi buried in Bani Walid next to his brother – thousands attend funeral as supporters of former regime display old green flag

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • LIA discusses with China’s Chargé d’affaires reinvesting Libya’s Security Council frozen assets to preserve their value

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.