No Result
View All Result
Monday, February 16, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

New Chief of Staff appointed by parliament but General Staff refuses to accept order

byMichel Cousins
August 25, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Ajnadin Mustafa.

Tripoli, 24 August 2014:

The House of Representatives today appointed new Chief of Staff. Colonel Abdul Razzaq Nazhuri replaces Major-General . . .[restrict]Abdussalam Jadallah Obeidi who was summonsed for questioning by HoR members last week over allegations that he had backed Operation Libya Dawn in the capital.

The General Staff, however, are refusing to accept the order.

In a letter issued in Tripoli this evening, the General Staff, which said it had met today at Mitiga Airbase, reiterated its support for Obeidi saying that it would not recognise the authority of the House of Representatives. Declaring that it would not be “dragged into political disputes”, the General Staff “justified” its decision to continue supporting Obeidi and reject the HoR on the basis that Tobruk was in the hands of Hafter forces and therefore outwith its control.

RELATED POSTS

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

The statement called Khalifa Hafter a ”criminal” saying that he and everyone who supported his Operation Dignity or was involved in the so-called “Libyan National Army” which he leads would be pursued and brought to justice. They were enemies of the 17 February Revolution, General Staff said. So too, they said, were those who had been involved in the aerial attacks on Operation Dawn positions in the capital and destroyed Libyan infrastructure. They indicted that they believed the raids were carried out by foreign aircraft.

Members of the armed forces, the General Staff statement added, had to support the revolutionaries.

The statement also appeared to confirm the HoR’s assertions about Obeidi by signalling that the Libya Dawn operation in Tripoli was authorised by him. It spoke of him being responsible for the revolutionaries’ “victories” in the capital.

The statement appears to make clear the effective split in the armed forces.  However, it is reported in Tobruk that Obeidi has agreed to step down.

Naduri, from Marj, was one of seven candidates considered for the post of Chief of Staff by the House. General Khalifa Hafter was not on the list – according to a source in the House because of concerns about his past and that he would be too divisive.

Nadouri is, however, a Dignity commanders; his son was killed in one of the early Dignity operations.

Meanwhile, there is no news on whether Khalid Sharif, the deputy Minister of Defence, has rejected his dismissal. In a leaked letter from the Prime Minister yesterday, he was sacked on the basis that he had left the county without permission and was not carrying out his duties. The decision is said to follow a request from parliament that Sharif, widely credited as being a member of the Muslim Brotherhood, be dismissed. [/restrict]

Related Posts

NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

China appoints Ma Xueliang as its new ambassador to Libya – after a 10-year gap

February 13, 2026
After a ten-year hiatus, Al-Khadra hospital’s Eye Clinic reopens
Libya

Al-Hadaba Al-Khadra General Hospital announces resumption of hip replacement surgeries after a two-year hiatus

February 12, 2026
Next Post
Libya steps down as host of AFCON 2017

Libya steps down as host of AFCON 2017

Libya Dawn accuses Egypt and the UAE of Tripoli airstrikes

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Saif al-Islam Qaddafi buried in Bani Walid next to his brother – thousands attend funeral as supporters of former regime display old green flag

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • LIA discusses with China’s Chargé d’affaires reinvesting Libya’s Security Council frozen assets to preserve their value

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.