No Result
View All Result
Monday, February 16, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libya’s new parliament meets in Tobruk

byNewsdesk1
August 5, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

Tripoli, 4 August 2014:

The first session of the newly elected House of Representatives was held this morning in Tobruk.

Though battles continue to . . .[restrict]rage in Tripoli and Benghazi, 158 of the 188 elected lawmakers made it to Tobruk and were officially sworn in. Thirty  were absent – ten from Misrata, seven from Tripoli, five from Ghariyan, three from Khoms, three from Benghazi and two from Sebha. Not all are Islamists, but many are connected to the Islamist block that controlled Congress but which was trounced in the general election in June.

There have been unconfirmed reports that some of the 30 were prevented from flying out of Mitiga airbase.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Islamist accused of assassinating four in US Benghazi Consulate in 2012 arrives under arrest in Washington DC

LBC Eastern Branch holds Benghazi Forum

The First Deputy President of what is now the former General National Congress (GNC), Ezzeddine Al-Awami, opened the new parliament with congratulations to the lawmakers for the “confidence accorded them by the Libyan people”.

Awami later warned that a swift transition from Congress to the new parliament was vital because of the present state of turmoil that the country finds itself in.

Justice Minister Salah Al-Marghani, standing in for Prime Minister Abdullah Al-Thinni who is attending meetings in the US, called on the new parliament to form a national unity government.

In Tripoli, however, Islamists and the former president of the GNC Nuri Abu Sahmain insisted that the official handover of power had to take place in the capital. In the event there was no handover. The House of Representatives got down to business unilaterally and Congress ceased to exist.

Responding to accusations that the Tobruk inauguration was illegitimate because there had been no formal handover from Congress and the meeting was not in Tripoli, Member of Parliament Hana Abudeeb, elected in Hay Al-Andalus, told the Libya Herald that the handover had been performed by Congress Vice-President Awami. It had included representatives of the government as well as  the European Union, the African Union, the Arab league and other organisations. As to the location, “the February Committee said previously that the General National Congress sets the date but the location is determined by the House of Representatives itself,” she said .

A second session was due to start at 7 pm this evening to elect a president for the House, as well as two deputies. While the results are not yet in, the candidates include Benghazi’s Abubakr Bahira who, as the oldest member, chaired the inaugural meeting and Younis Fanoush and Imhemed Shaib from Zawia.

Despite the efforts by Islamists and their allies, the legitimacy of new parliament is now seen as unassailable, especially given that today’s session was endorsed by the attendance of the United Nations Security Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) as well as representatives from the Arab League and the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation.

In a statement released today, UNSMIL said that it welcomed the convening of the House of Representatives amid the difficult circumstances in Libya. It also applauded the Libyan people for exercising their “genuine will” to ensure that the democratic process was respected and for their “insistence” on building a state based on the rule of law and respect for human rights. [/restrict]

Tags: AwamiBenghaziHouse of RepresentativesLibyaNuri Abu SahmainUNSMIL

Related Posts

NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

China appoints Ma Xueliang as its new ambassador to Libya – after a 10-year gap

February 13, 2026
After a ten-year hiatus, Al-Khadra hospital’s Eye Clinic reopens
Libya

Al-Hadaba Al-Khadra General Hospital announces resumption of hip replacement surgeries after a two-year hiatus

February 12, 2026
Next Post

Missing Maltese man turns up

Libyan firefighters hailed as courageous heroes

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Saif al-Islam Qaddafi buried in Bani Walid next to his brother – thousands attend funeral as supporters of former regime display old green flag

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • LIA discusses with China’s Chargé d’affaires reinvesting Libya’s Security Council frozen assets to preserve their value

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.