No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Benghazi’s many faces

byNewsdesk2
August 16, 2014
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A

By Farah Waleed.

Benghazi, 16 August 2014:

Despite the constant flow of grim news from Benghazi in recent days, the situation in the . . .[restrict]city is far more varied that might be expected.  Since the takeover of the Saiqa Special Forces camp in Buatni by Ansar Al-Sharia and 17 February Brigade at the end of last month, Benghazi residents are experiencing completely different patterns of lifestyle depending on which area of the city they find themselves in.

No evidence of war can be seen in the centre of the city where shops are open and people are shopping in the crowded streets. Music can be heard spilling out of cafes and cars and life seems to be going on as normal. For all Ansar’s claims to be in charge of Benghazi, its power does not seem to extend there. It is very much limited to the south of the city. As for the north east of the city, it is the tribes and General Khalifa Hafter’s forces that are in control.

Just because neither Ansar nor Hafter control the centre, it does not mean that politics and the nation’s current crisis are ignored there. Quiet the contrary. Residents take clear sides opposing or supporting the House of Representatives (HoR). Discussions, sometime heated, about politics and the clashes happen at cafes, shops and even while waiting in traffic.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Islamist accused of assassinating four in US Benghazi Consulate in 2012 arrives under arrest in Washington DC

LBC Eastern Branch holds Benghazi Forum

The scene is different in those areas controlled by Ansar Al-Sharia. Benghazi’s southeast neighbourhoods of Laithi, Gwarsha, Buatni, Hawari and Gunfudah, and some of the city’s suburbs are heavily controlled by them and their allies. People had been forced to leave their homes in these districts because of the fighting – the worst in the city since the overthrow of Qaddafi.

It has been circulated on social media that at Ansar-controlled checkpoints guards check mobiles and laptops looking for anything that might indicate loyalty to a side, arresting those that are found to be against Ansar. The scenario is particularly dangerous if the person stopped is a member of the army or police.

The latter have disappeared from Benghazi streets and most of the police stations are simply piles of rubble having been destroyed by shells or bombs.

Residents throughout the city who have not headed to Turkey, Jordan or Egypt are having to cope as best they can.

Street cleaners are on strike, saying they have not been paid for a long time which means that  garbage is piling up causing foul odours.

Also on the streets, most of the traffic lights are not working and frustrated and often aggressive drivers have been taking the law into their own hands. As it is, the roads are full of potholes because the lack of maintenance, although that goes back to Qaddafi times. But the result is a large number of car accidents and heated arguments among the motorists.

Meanwhile, the city’s Benina Airport, the primary airport for all of eastern Libya, is also closed because of the clashes, forcing those trying to get out to drive some 200 kilometres east to Labraq airport.

In addition, the University of Benghazi has been closed since May. On Thursday, it told staff to return tomorrow, Sunday 17 August, and resume classes  as of Saturday, 30 August. However, although the university says the decision was prompted by demands from students and their parents as well as local organisations and the Municipal council to restart, there is little chance it is going to happen. With few signs of increased stability and security, students and staff alike are reluctant to return.

Many residents are expressing their frustration with Ansar Al-Sharia and the Muslim Brotherhood. A 35-year-old bank teller, who did not want his name to be published, told the Libya Herald , “as long the Muslim Brotherhood and Islamist movements and militias still exist in Libya, I can say Libyans will not enjoy peace at all”.

He added: “I challenge any of these groups or their supporters to tell us what they have done for the Libyan people politically, militarily, economically or in terms of security. The best proof of what extremists are able to achieve is in Somalia, or with the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt.”

“I just want to say to the supporters of the Muslim Brotherhood and the Islamists,” Belkhais said, “why do you not ask yourselves what the leaders of these movements are doing outside of Libya?”

Within the city and in Tobruk, where parliament is meeting, there are ongoing calls for a ceasefire. Benghazi’s elders too have called for one, but the warring sides each have their own conditions and do not see those conditions as having been met yet.

On Wednesday, parliament voted to disband all militias in a bid to end the worst clashes between armed factions in Benghazi and Tripoli particularly, and in Libya generally.

The decision to disband them has resulted in many disparate views among the people of Benghazi. The city has witnessed demonstrations in support of parliament, but also in support of the militias. Those who support the Libya Shields militias see them as the protectors of the revolution, claiming that what is happening now in Tobruk with the parliament is a coup against the legitimacy of the General National Congress.

With input by Aimen Amzein [/restrict]

Tags: Ansar Al-ShariaBenghaziLibya

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post

Desperate father drives wounded son from Benghazi to Cairo for treatment

Heavy artillery bombardment rains down on parts of Tripoli

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

HoR Members, Benghazi Municipality and Benghazi Chamber meet British business delegation visiting Benghazi

There is no shortage of food supplies in the Libyan marketplace: Customs Authority

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.