No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Suicide Attack on Benghazi Bersis checkpoint; only bomber killed

byMichel Cousins
July 27, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Aimen Amzein, Moutaz Ahmed and Noura Ibrahim.

Benghazi, 12 June 2014:

Only the suicide bomber died in Wednesday night’s attack on the Bersis . . .[restrict]checkpoint east of Benghazi it has now been disclosed. It was initially said that either two or four guards had been killed and six injured.

Clarifying the situation this afternoon however, the commander of the Saiqa Special Forces Investigations Unit, Fadel Al-Hassi, said that no guards had been killed and that the only person to die was the bomber. His remains had been taken to Beida hospital and although it was impossible to make any physical identification, attempts were being made to find out who he was, where he came from and what group he was with.

Spokesman for Khalifa Haftar’s Operation Dignity Mohamed Hejazi confirmed that only the bomber had died. However, four were injured, he said, one seriously, adding that all four would be sent abroad for treatment. The reason for the low number of casualties, he explained, was because the truck that exploded had stopped 100 metres short of the checkpoint.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Islamist accused of assassinating four in US Benghazi Consulate in 2012 arrives under arrest in Washington DC

LBC Eastern Branch holds Benghazi Forum

The attack was “the last desperate act” of people “who had lost the battle” he declared.

Nonetheless, both he and Al-Hassi expressed concerns that there could be other suicide attacks. The truck used in the bombing had been stolen earlier Benghazi’s Hay Salam district, Hijazi said. Other trucks had been stolen there and elsewhere in the city and they could be used as bombs, he added.

The security forces were looking for them, Hassi said – in particular a garbage van stolen in Al Sabri district. “We’re doing our best to find them,” he said.

Both were in bullish mood, however ­– confident that the fight against the militants was being won. The locations of their arms caches were known and were being attacked.   Hijazi added that five vessels carrying weapons to the militants had been attacked and destroyed in the past few days. [/restrict]

Tags: BenghaziLibyaoperation dignity

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post

Ansar Al-Sharia and Hafter deny ceasefire deal

National Paralympic team takes on 2014 IPC Athletics Grand Prix

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

HoR Members, Benghazi Municipality and Benghazi Chamber meet British business delegation visiting Benghazi

There is no shortage of food supplies in the Libyan marketplace: Customs Authority

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.