No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Hundreds of mourners gather for the funeral of Salwa Bugaighis

byCallum Paton
June 27, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Hundreds of mourners gather for the funeral of Salwa Bugaighis

Bughagis' grave amongst scores of other freshly dug graves (Photo: Abdullah Duma)

By Moutaz Ahmed.

Bughagis' grave amongst scores of other freshly dug graves (Photo: Abdullah Duma)
Bugaghis’ grave amongst scores of other freshly dug graves (Photo: Abdullah Duma)

Benghazi, 27 June 2014:

Between 400 and 500 mourners gathered at Benghazi’s Hawari cemetery today to bury . . .[restrict]human rights activist Salwa Bugaighis whose brutal murder on Wednesday has reverberated across the country.

Bugaighis’ body travelled from her family home where it had rested since yesterday to the graveyard in Hawari where a brief ceremony was held before the burial. Bugaighis would have been buried, by Islamic rite, yesterday but time was given to her sons to return from Jordan. Bugaighis and her husband,  Essam Al-Ghariani, who is missing had been staying in Jordan but had returned to Benghazi to vote in Wednesday’s elections and for him to take up his duties as a newly elected Benghazi municipal councillor.

The graveyard, which has been extended to house the influx of dead from recent violence in Benghazi, was awash with mourners paying their respects, each in their own way, amongst the scores of freshly dug graves and in scorching heat.

RELATED POSTS

First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

China’s Ambassador to Libya visits Benghazi on the inauguration of China’s COSCO direct shipping line to the city

One mourner told the Libya Herald that Bugaighis had been worth more than a thousand men. He said Benghazi’s sorrow over the killing was deep and genuine and what had occurred was a complete disaster. He added that the facts of her killing had to be established and the government bring Bugaighis’ killers to justice.

Across the city tributes have been made to the slain lawyer and activist. One lawyer who had worked with Bugaighis, but who did not want his identity known, said her murder had been perpetrated by “hateful cowards”. He said that they had wished to obstruct progress and now Bugaighis who had “spoken out against the forces of evil and darkness” was joining the “constellation of martyrs”.

Another mourner said Wednesday’s killing in Benghazi was not representative of the Libyan people and that such assassinations had to stop. She said what had happened was ugly and sinful, a brutal violation of the sanctity of the home. She said the city had not witnessed such shameless attacks in the past and hopefully would not see such violence again.

NGO worker Marwan Gargoum said Bugaighis had fought for the 17 February Revolution from the very beginning. She had played a huge role before the revolution as well, helping victims of sexual violence and the underprivileged.

Bugaighis had paid in blood for the future of Libya, the building of state institutions and the rule of law, he said.

[/restrict]

Tags: BenghazifeaturedkillingLibyaSalwa Bugaighis

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Next Post
ELECTION 2014: Initial results

ELECTION 2014: Initial results

Witness to Bugaighis murder dies in mysterious circumstances; body shows signs of torture

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.