No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Congress members walkout in February Committee vote dispute

byMichel Cousins
March 10, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Ahmed Elumami.

Tripoli, 10 March 2014:

Some 50 members of the General National Congress, many of them women, walked out . . .[restrict]of yesterday’s sitting in protest at a change to the agenda which meant that there would be debate on the proposals submitted by the February Committee for early direct elections for a replacement to Congress and a state president.

The members were angry at the decision by the GNC president Nuri Abu Sahmain giving Congress members time to discuss the proposal rather than to directly vote on it.

They claimed that the proposals had to be voted on in their entirety, without any amendments and without discussions. 

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

“We completely reject discussing the proposal,” a protesting member told the Libya Herald on condition of anonymity. “We should vote on it directly in accordance with the decision of forming the February committee.”

This, the member said, had been that Congress would vote to either accept or reject the proposals as a whole without discussion.

The reason some members wanted to discuss the proposal, it was claimed, was so that they could amend the article on elections for the state president, making it an appointment by the new legislature rather than being elected by Libyan voters.

Supporters and members of the Muslim Brotherhood, while now accepting that there should be early elections to a successor to Congress are known to oppose direct elections to the state president, supposedly because they fear a candidate with a Muslim Brotherhood link would be rejected by the Libyan public.

The Brotherhood wanted to make themselves the guardians of the Libyan people and deprive them of their right to choose the president of Libya through free direct elections as it was mention by February Committee, the member said.

Murzuk Congressman Abdulwahab Al-Ghayed, a member of Al-Wafa block which includes the Justice & Construction Party and members of the Brotherhood, told both Ajwa Liblad news agency and Libya Ahrar TV station that the block opposed the proposal of February Committee of direct elections of the president, claiming that the block feared it would lead to new dictator.

“One or two big tribes in Libya [by themselves] could determine the name of the president. Therefore we call for immediate elections [to a new Congress] by the law that elected the [present] Congress, and then leave it to it to elect the next president” Ghayed said.

He added that the February Committee’s proposal was very long and there was a need fora quick response to the demands of the street, and this could be found in quick elections for a new Congress.

Zawiya Congressman Said Jarjar, a member of Justice and Judicial Authorities Committee, told this newspaper that it was perfectly legitimate to discuss and review the February Committee’s proposal before voting on it.

Intense efforts were being made by members to reach a consensus on the proposal, Jarjar said, explaining that debate was still ongoing among the blocs in Congress. [/restrict]

Tags: congressLibyaMsulim Brotherhood

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post
Alexandria Declaration on Women’s rights in Islam

Alexandria Declaration on Women's rights in Islam

Fezzan municipal guards threaten to strike

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • LIA discusses with China’s Chargé d’affaires reinvesting Libya’s Security Council frozen assets to preserve their value

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

HoR Members, Benghazi Municipality and Benghazi Chamber meet British business delegation visiting Benghazi

There is no shortage of food supplies in the Libyan marketplace: Customs Authority

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.