No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

A president and new Congress to be elected in June if progress on constitution is too slow

byMichel Cousins
February 5, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Ahmed Elumami.

Tripoli, 4 February 2014:

Libya will elect a new congress and a president as head of state towards . . .[restrict]in June if, by early May it is clear that the 60-member constitution-drafting Committee to be elected in 16 days’ time says that it cannot come up with a new constitution by July. 

The GNC approved late on Monday evening a crucial amendment to the roadmap for its dissolution initially agreed last month.

The roadmap’s prime goal, Plan A, is that the 60-member Committee, which has to start work a week after the full election results are declared, probably around early March, will draw up a constitution within 120 days, see it approved in a referendum, ratified by Congress and elections held to a new legislature, preferably in time for a handover of power on 24 December, Independence Day, although it is now suggested this could even be as late as July or September next year.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

If, however, 60 days after the Committee’s first meeting, it is clear that the deadline is not going to be met, then elections would be called for a new Congress. It would take over in October while the Constitutional Committee continues its work.

Yesterday’s amendment, approved by 146 Congress members, set out the timescale for Plan B. Under it, a Congressional committee would monitor the situation and, if told by the Constitutional Committee in May that the Plan A deadline was impractical, would table a law in Congress for presidential and fresh Congressional elections within 30 days. 

If, on the other hand, the Constitutional Committee says that it can produce a constitution by the 120 days from its first meeting (probably some time in July), then Congress will draw up plans for a referendum to approve the new constitution by a two-thirds majority within 30 days from the date of its issuance. If approved, the Constitutional Committee will then ratify it, passing it to Congress for final approval.

However, if it is fails to gain approval in the referendum, the Committee will have to redraft it and represent it to the public within 30 days.

Once approved, Congress will set in motion elections for the new constitution’s legislature. A law authorising them will have to be passed within 30 days and the elections held within a subsequent 120 days. 

The results would be announced within 30 days of the poll and the legislature’s first meeting held, at which point the GNC would hand over power. 

Whatever happens, Congress decided, the transition must be complete within 18 months of the first meeting of the Constitutional Committee – which means September 2015. Any extension would have to be approved in a referendum

The roadmap is Congress’ answer to strong public demands that Congress be dissolved by this Friday – 7 February.  The date has been extrapolated from the former National Transitional Council’s August 2011 Constitutional Declaration which originally intended that the Constitutional Committee would be appointed by Congress and that there would be a constitution up and running by now. [/restrict]

Tags: Constitutional CommitteeGeneral National CongressLibya

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Thieving farmer cripples Man-Made River water supply

Zeidan snaps at media for questioning his government's "90-percent achievements"

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.