No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Registration for 60-Committee vote edges up

byNigel Ash
December 23, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Ahmed Elumami.

Tripoli, 23 December 2013:

Nationwide voter registration for the election of the 60-Committee that will produce the new constitution, is . . .[restrict]edging up slowly.

The High National Electoral Committee (HNEC) said today that 683,113 Libyans had put their names down to take part in the ballot. This is up some 80,000 on three days ago,  when the poor take-up decided the HNEC to extend the registration period to the end of the month.

HNEC public relations and out-reach director Hussam Zagaar told the Libya Herald  that the registration deadline had been extended because only recently had voters recognised the importance of the vote.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Zagaar also said that voters had been confused by the registration process for the municipal council elections and the earlier process to elect the General National Congress in July 2012.

In what might appear to be an acceptance that the HNEC has not have publicised the vote sufficiently, Zagaar said that volunteers were still distributing leaflets at airports, hospitals and universities  in order to raise awareness of the vote for the 60-Committee.

As of  today, according to the HNEC, the 683,113  who had registered to vote were made up of  418,106 men and 265,007 women. Within this figure were were 3,386 expatriate Libyans who had registered to vote.

For the 2012 GNC elections some 2.8 million of the 3.3 million eligible voters registered for the ballot.  If the HNEC passes its target of one million voters within the next seven says, it will still mean that only sightly more than a third of the voter numbers from 2012 will have decided to go to the voting station for a second time.

Zagaar also said that as from today, the HNEC would start to publish the lists of candidates for the 60-Committee and that 48 hours after the last names were revealed, the campaigning for election could begin.

  [/restrict]

Tags: 60 committeeHNECLibyaregistrationvoter registration

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post
GNC votes to extend its life another year

GNC votes to extend its life another year

Obama sends Independence Day message

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

HoR Members, Benghazi Municipality and Benghazi Chamber meet British business delegation visiting Benghazi

There is no shortage of food supplies in the Libyan marketplace: Customs Authority

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.