No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Protest charges against pro-Qaddafi student “violation of human rights” says Amnesty International

byMichel Cousins
September 10, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

Tuesday, 10 September 2013:

Amnesty International has demanded the Libyan authorities drop charges immediately against a man for having participated  in protests . . .[restrict]in London on 28 June 2011 against military intervention in Libya.  It says the charges violate the right to freedom of expression and assembly.

Moad al-Hnesh is due in court in Zawia tomorrow charged with crimes against the state because of his activities in the United Kingdom during the 2011 revolution. If found guilty he could face a life sentence, the organisation  says.

“That a young man could face life in prison for expressing political opinions deemed unacceptable by those in power begs the question of whether Libya has changed since the Qaddafi era,” said Hassiba Hadj Sahraoui, Amnesty International’s Deputy Director for the Middle East and North Africa.

“Libya adopted a constitutional declaration that guarantees freedom of expression two years ago. But instead of repealing draconian legislation used by the former regime to imprison opponents of Qaddafi, the new authorities are abusing the very same laws to stifle dissent.”

RELATED POSTS

Libyan militias intensified suppression of dissent, attacks on civil society. Thousands arbitrarily detained, arrested for exercise of human rights: Amnesty International report

Eastern Libya authorities must lift restrictions on journalists: Amnesty International

“Expressing political views, however objectionable or at odds with the majority, is an essential human right which should not depend on who is in power.”

Hnesh has been charged under Article 178 of the Penal Code with publishing false information on the internal situation in Libya and participating in pro-Qaddafi demonstrations in London. The code criminalises the activities of Libyans abroad against the interests of the state and carries a life sentence. Amnesty adds he could face a further 15 years in jail under Article 195 for “publicly insulting the Libyan people” after describing Libya’s revolutionaries as “rats”. The organisation says the charges should be dropped.

The 34-year old engineer is further accused of threatening fellow Libyan students in Britain who opposed Qaddafi with detention upon their return to Libya. Amnesty has said that in this case “it is essential that his right to a fair trial is scrupulously respected to avoid any perception of political bias”.

He was arrested at the beginning of April last year after a group of Libyan students who had met him at university in Britain filed a complaint against him with the Zawia Military Council. His trial began on 30 May 2012. As with all other cases in Libya, it has been adjourned several times.

“The Libyan government should immediately amend or repeal all laws arbitrarily restricting freedom of expression. It must demonstrate that it has broken with the legacy of repression and impunity and is serious about upholding human rights,” Hassiba Hadj Sahraoui said. [/restrict]

Tags: Amnesty InternationalLibyaMoad al-Hnesh

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Massive car bomb explodes in downtown Benghazi

Massive car bomb explodes in downtown Benghazi

Don’t change government now says Council of Ulema

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libya’s energy transition represents one of North Africa’s most significant infrastructure opportunities: LBBC Chairman Peter Millett

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.