No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Border closed after Muslim Brotherhood head tries to flee to Libya

bythomwestcott
July 4, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Border closed after Muslim Brotherhood head tries to flee to Libya

Celebrations Tobruk

By Ashraf Abdul Wahab.

Libyans and Egyptians in Torbuk celebrate the fall of President Morsi

Tripoli, 4 July 2013:

Libyan revolutionary brigades yesterday closed the Libyan-Egyptian border crossing at Musaid, after the head of . . .[restrict]Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood tried to flee the country’s political coup.

Mohammed Badie, the supreme guide of the Muslim Brotherhood, and ousted Egyptian president Mohamed Morsi, have both been banned from leaving the country since yesterday’s military takeover. Badie, however, flouted the travel ban and tried to seek sanctuary in Libya.

Badie was reportedly arrested by the Egyptian army while being escorted towards the border by members of the Bedouin Awlad Ali tribe. Subsequent clashes with the Egyptian military left four tribesmen dead.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Railroads signs MoU with Chinese BFI Consortium for rail line to Egypt

23 flights of international aid from 12 states arrive in Libya within 24 hours – government asks UN to coordinate effort

Head of the Tobruk Local Council, Faraj Yasin Obeidi, said that the revolutionary brigades had been deployed at checkpoints between the border crossing and Tobruk.

The crossing remains closed today.

Meanwhile, the leader of the Libyan Muslim Brotherhood, whose Justice and Construction party is the second largest in Congress, has however said that any request for political asylum in Libya made by a Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood member, whether he was in government or part of the Jemaah Islamiyah, should be allowed. Bashir Alkibti added that what is happening in Egypt has to be seen as a military coup against the legitimate elected government and, as such, a major blow to democracy.

So far, there has been no official reaction to events in Egypt. Nor has there been any comment about Libya’s loan of $2 billion handed to the Egyptians in April. It was officially described by the Libyan authorities at the time as an investment but was widely seen as having been given to help prop up both the government of President Morsi and the tottering Egyptian economy.

Morsi’s overthrow also puts a question mark over the oil supply deal agreed last March under which Libya agreed to provide cash-strapped Egypt with as much as million barrels of crude oil a month on preferential payments for a year.  The deal was still unfinalised a few days ago because of Egypt’s inability to provide payment guarantees.

Public reaction in Libya to Morsi’s overthrow has also been muted.  However, back in Tobruk, known to be unsympathetic to the Muslim Brotherhood, local youths as well as Egyptians took to the streets yesterday evening to celebrate the military intervention in Cairo. [/restrict]

Tags: EgyptEsmaad border crossingfeaturedLibyamusaid

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 18, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Next Post
Vintage cars draw crowds in Benghazi

Vintage cars draw crowds in Benghazi

Two dead in Air Force graduation tragedy

Two dead in Air Force graduation tragedy

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • LIA discusses with China’s Chargé d’affaires reinvesting Libya’s Security Council frozen assets to preserve their value

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of technical study assessing existing damage to Zumurrud Mall project completed

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.