No Result
View All Result
Friday, February 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Refugees from Libya refuse to leave closed Choucha camp

bythomwestcott
July 1, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Houda Mzioudet.

The Choucha refugee camp (photo: UNHCR)

Tripoli, 30 June 2013:

Some 650 refugees have refused to leave the Choucha refugee camp at the Tunisian-Libyan border, which . . .[restrict]officially closed today.

The United Nations refugee agency UNHCR announced the closure of the camp in March but many refugees have stayed on, despite water and electricity supplies being cut off. A Chadian resident, Mussa Ibrahim, confirmed that the camp is still open and continuing to house around 650 residents.

“The camp may be closed theoretically,” he said: “UNHCR said they closed it for administrative reasons, but they did it for media hype.”

RELATED POSTS

Libya, Algeria and Tunisia agree on further cooperation on land transport

REAoL delegation participates in MeetMED Week 2024 in Tunisia

He also told the Libya Herald that basic services have been reduced over the last week. The water, he said, was stopped today, forcing refugees to fetch water from neighbouring areas in Ben Guerdane.

Ibrahim said that the camp’s residents, especially asylum seekers who have had their applications rejected, are waiting for a satisfactory solution.

The Tunisian government’s earlier decision to integrate remaining camp residents into Tunisian society, or return them to Libya, was rejected by some refugees, who asked UNHCR to reconsider their demand to be resettled in Western countries. These individuals are apparently mainly from sub-Saharan Africa, Palestine and Iraq.

The Tunisian Ministry of Social Affairs, said Ibrahim, has started taking fingerprints from refugees, on a voluntary basis, in a move to grant some six-month residence permits. “This would also give us free movement in Tunisia,” Ibrahim explained, adding: “Until then, we cannot leave the camp.” However, his permit, which he needs to support his family, has not yet materialised.

Under the Tunisian resettlement programme, some residents, who were given $1,000 per month to help with housing costs, have already found jobs. Ibrahim said he was willing to integrate into Tunisian society and work like the 200 residents who have already been given the opportunity to do so.

Having fled the Libyan conflict in March 2011, Ibrahim’s wife gave birth to a son in the camp, making him the first child born in the Choucha camp.

“Luckily, I had the support of local and international NGOs which supported me financially right after the birth of my son. It was a symbolic gesture to help me support my family,” Ibrahim noted.

He has been living off that aid ever since.

Some residents in the camp have been working in the neighbouring towns of Ben Guerdan, Zarzis and Medenine, supporting themselves and their families, Ibrahim added. Since UNHCR announced its decision to close the camp, residents have been trying to avoid eviction by getting support from local authorities and international NGOs to help them continue living there until a solution has been found.

The closure of the camp has been condemned by Tunisian and human rights organisations, some of which have termed it a “breach of human rights.”

A number of refugees had staged protests at the camp’s proposed closure, including one in front of the EU delegation building in Tunis. Some  have been on hunger strike. Many have complained that they have suffered from discrimination, including racial harrassment and name-calling, during their stay in Tunisia.

The camp was opened in March 2011, when thousands of foreign nationals fled the Libyan revolution. At its height, Choucha was receiving over 10,000 refugees a day. Most of the camp residents were either repatriated to their home countries or resettled in Western countries including Australia, the US and Germany. [/restrict]

Tags: asylum seekersChoucha refugee campLibyaRefugeesTunisia

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Next Post

Zeidan due to travel to Moscow

June hand-in deadline extended: old LD 20 notes now valid until December

June hand-in deadline extended: old LD 20 notes now valid until December

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

Military Industrialization Organisation delivers 7,000 cooking gas cylinders it has manufactured locally to Brega Oil Marketing Company

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.