No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Poland eyes Libyan heritage market

bythomwestcott
February 17, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Poland eyes Libyan heritage market

Poland is hoping to bring extensive conservation skills to Libya (Photo: Tom Westcott)

Warsaw University: Poland is hoping . . .[restrict]to bring extensive conservation skills to Libya (Photo: Tom Westcott)

Tripoli, 17 February 2013:

Heritage specialists from Poland are gearing up to bring a range of skills to the Libyan market.

A new Business Promotion Programme for the protection and maintenance of heritage sites, buildings and monuments will include the organisation of exhibitions, economic missions and seminars over the next three years.

“Polish professionals are skilled in the protection and maintenance of cultural heritage,” Sylwia Siwek, the media co-ordinator of the programme, told the Libya Herald. “Poland’s difficult past and the massive damages it sustained during the Second World War meant that workers have developed skills and knowledge in many fields of the industry.”

Starting in June, the programme, which was set up by the Polish Economy Ministry, is geared at enabling Polish experts to export their services and products to new markets. It also promises to create business opportunities and allow professionals to exchange knowledge and skills.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

“One of the aims of the programme is to have Polish specialists take care of Libyan monuments, by offering economic solutions and a high quality service,” Siwek said.

Polish archaeologists already have a presence in the country. Teams from one of Poland’s top academic institutions – Warsaw University – have worked on the site of Ptolemais since 2001.

Through extensive topographical studies, they produced the first detailed plan of the city, one of the ancient capitals of Cyrenaica. Siwek said that modern technological developments had increased the team’s ability to make archaeological surveys, using geophysics and computer graphics. The map of Ptolemais, she said, not only filled in previous gaps, but also added a new level of topographical antiquity.

Since 2005, geophysical research, including geo-electrical and magnetic measurements, has been carried out. The work of Polish archeologists at Ptolemais has so far covered an area of some 18 hectares, both inside and outside the city walls.

“Their major achievement,” Siwek said, “was the development of methodologies for measuring and determining the best possible types of geophysical equipment for use with the remnants of architecture.”

Using such modern technology, a Polish team is currently working on a virtual reconstruction of the ancient temple of the pharaoh Totomes III in Egypt. “The Polish technical and conservation abilities are appreciated and respected all over the world,” Siwek said.

Poland’s input in this area could be timely. Last week in Tripoli there was a meeting of top archaeological experts from around the world, to discuss how Libya could preserve its valuable heritage. The focus of the four-day event was on how to record sites and treasures with modern techniques, and how best to protect and preserve the country’s many sites, which range from pre-historic rock-art in the Sahara to ancient Greek and Roman ruins along the coast. [/restrict]

Tags: archaeologyconservationheritageLibyaPoland

Related Posts

CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

May 17, 2026
Ministry of Housing in discussions with Ernst & Young in London
Business

Minister of Housing from Baku: Completion and construction of 150,000 housing units and the transition towards smart cities‎ is the aim

May 17, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

Numisma Bank pledges to supply record amounts of cash dollars to the Central Bank of Libya in its Second Phase of cash injection to the Libyan market

May 17, 2026
First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges
Business

First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

May 17, 2026
Sebha airport closed for urgent runway maintenance until end of April
Business

Sebha’s newly developed airport inaugurated during a lavish ceremony

May 17, 2026
NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port
Business

Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Low turnout as Magarief salutes the revolution in Benghazi

Low turnout as Magarief salutes the revolution in Benghazi

Congratulations! Now to the constitution, say lawyers

Congratulations! Now to the constitution, say lawyers

Top Stories

  • Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

Minister of Housing from Baku: Completion and construction of 150,000 housing units and the transition towards smart cities‎ is the aim

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.