No Result
View All Result
Monday, February 23, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

No progress with detention centres, says HRW

bythomwestcott
February 7, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
No progress with detention centres, says HRW

Joe Stork (centre) and Hanan Salah (right) from HRW (Photo: Tom Westcott)

Joe Stork (centre) and . . .[restrict]Hanan Salah (right) from HRW voiced concern at the unlawful detention of some 8,000 people in Libya (Photo: Tom Westcott)

Tripoli, 5 February 2013:

Libya has made no progress with regard to detention centres in the last year, according to Human Rights Watch (HRW).

“The government acknowledges that about 8,000 people are being detained across Libya, but only about 5,600 of these are in facilities controlled to some degree by the military or the Interior and Justice ministries,” Joe Stork, deputy Middle East and North Africa director of HRW, said today, Wednesday, at a press conference in Tripoli.

Stork said that many of these people were being detained illegally and that most had been held for over a year. The figure, he said, appeared to be the same as this time last year.

He said that during 2012 HRW had documented torture and deaths in detention centres run by both armed militias and various Supreme Security Committees (SSC) which operate nominally under the Interior Ministry.

RELATED POSTS

Office of Prosecutor of International Criminal Court welcomes Germany’s arrest of Libyan suspect

Libyan militias intensified suppression of dissent, attacks on civil society. Thousands arbitrarily detained, arrested for exercise of human rights: Amnesty International report

The exact number of deaths is not known and there is no official list recording the names of detainees.

“The militias still holding detainees need to know that their conduct is a clear violation of Libyan law and they can be held accountable,” Stork said. He added that a justice deficit in the country was nowhere more apparent than in the case of detainees.

Hanan Salah, from HRW Libya, said “detainees not under state control need to be moved to facilities that are run by the government.”

She said that the government also needed to conduct judicial reviews on detainees and ensure fair trials. “If they were engaged in committing crimes, they must be given access to lawyers and taken to a court of law. If they are innocent, they need to be released,” said Salah.

She also pointed out that full investigations were needed into cases of the abuse of detainees and that those in charge should face trial.

Some positive news came, however, from the Minister of Justice, Salah Marghani, who was unable to attend the conference but sent a written statement.

“The Ministry has embarked on a policy that includes taking the necessary measures to end all violations and bring detention places under actual and full control of the judicial police,” Marghani said.

Detention centres outside the control of the Ministry of Justice, he said, would be criminalised.

Marghani said that Ministry aimed to take control of all detainees in Misrata in a new correction facility, which would be under the full control of the judicial police. He said this would be done by mid-May and that this model could be replicated elsewhere.

There will also be staff increases, with 24 prosecutors transferred from Eastern Libya to Misrata and, Marghani said, thousands of new recruits to the police would be trained to control judicial facilities.

Marghani also pointed out that there had been a drop “of reported torture, and deaths under torture in the first month of 2013, as well as the gradual taking over of detention centres.”

At the end of the conference, Stork said that whilst HRW was “not happy about the current situation in Libya, it was optimistic.” [/restrict]

Tags: detaineesHRWhuman rightsLibya

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Tripoli Criminal Court convicts five Waha bank employees for LD 131 million corruption

February 22, 2026
Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
Next Post
“The government is protective of the freedom of expression and the safety of media personnel” – Prime Minister Zeidan

“The government is protective of the freedom of expression and the safety of media personnel” – Prime Minister Zeidan

Congress opts for an elected Constitutional Commission

Top Stories

  • Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts

    Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Aldabaiba calls on CBL Governor to halt all 2026 project spending across Libya – until the newly US-brokered unified spending agreement is adhered to

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Kufra airport activates runway and taxiway lighting enabling nighttime flights

Newly created Libyan United Airlines reveals logo – stresses it is a privately owned airline

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.