No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Tourism Minister meets with industry leaders

bySami Zaptia
December 29, 2012
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Tourism Minister meets with industry leaders

Tourism Minister Ikram Bashemam wanted to hear the tourism sector's problems (Photo: Sami Zaptia).

By Sami Zaptia.

Libyan Tourism Minister Ikram Bashemam, centre, addresses leaders of the tourism sector (Photo: Sami Zaptia)

Tripoli, 29 December:

Tourism Minister Ikram Bashemam met with the heads of the Libyan tourism sector on Thursday 27 December at . . .[restrict]the Ministry of Tourism in Tripoli.

“I only actually started my job two days ago [Tuesday 25 December]” she pointed out. “I called this meeting mainly because of the fast approaching Umra season [the lesser Haj or pilgrimage to the holy sites in Saudi],” Bashemam said.

“I am here to hear from you and talk about solutions to the bottlenecks in your work. There are 1,255 tourism companies registered in Libya”, the Minister informed the packed room of about 200 representatives of the tourism sector.

RELATED POSTS

First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

China’s Ambassador to Libya visits Benghazi on the inauguration of China’s COSCO direct shipping line to the city

After Minister Bashemam’s short introduction speech, she opened the floor to the industry leaders.

Bureaucracy and government red tape was one of the main complaints. One speaker complained that he needed about 12 files of paper in order to obtain his trade licence and that every paper in the file needed more papers to be obtained and financial guarantees.

He complained that almost all these documents needed annual renewal and called for documents that have a longer validity. “I have just finished renewing all the documentation for my company, and I will have to start renewing again soon,” he said.

Minister Bashemam responded by saying that regarding the issuing of trade licences she hoped to instigate a unified, one-stop window for tourism companies to streamline the process.

A head of Tobruk-based tourism company complained about the problem of centralization and being tied to flights from Tripoli and Benghazi. He complained that airlines give holy-sites travelers a bad service leaving passengers stranded in Saudi which reflects negatively and unfairly on Libya and Libyan travel agents.

The Minister replied that she was going to meet with the Ministry of Transport and will raise this issue with them.

Tourism Minister Ikram Bashemam wanted to hear the tourism sector’s problems (Photo: Sami Zaptia)

 

Another tourism company complained that the former regime used to constrain the development of the tourism sector in Libya and specifically to Saudi and the holy sites of Mecca and Medina. He noted that Libya’s tourism sector could not act as one unified entity in the pursuit of their sector’s interests. “We need to unite and negotiate with the Saudi government as a unified group,” he said.

Bashemam responded by informing the audience that she had already had unofficial talks with the Saudi ambassador about these issues and about Libyans not getting treated as well as other nationalities – which she blamed on the old Libyan regime.

She hoped for a start that Libyans will no longer have to queue outside the Saudi embassy for visas. She also added that she will meet again with the Saudi ambassador to pass on the feedback from the meeting.

Another tourism company representative felt that the sector needed a clear vision, saying it had no identity in the Libyan economy. He felt that the tourism sector was a service sector but the Chambers of Commerce are concerned more with the products sector. The representative said that Libya needed its own Chamber of Tourism to help coordinate activities.

The meeting with the minister was part of a two-day exhibition by 23 tourism companies from Saudi Arabia, Jordan and Libya specializing in trips to the Muslim holy sites, held in Tripoli and sponsored by the Libyan Tourism Ministry.

Before the revolution it is estimated that about 75,000 Libyans visited Saudi on holy pilgrimages but recent estimates suggest that this figure has jumped to about 125,000 pilgrims after October 2011.

This is the first time this tourism exhibition was held since the 17 February Revolution, but the organizers said that it was first held back in 2004. They now hope that it will be an annual event.

 

  [/restrict]

Tags: airlinesBenghazibureaucracyBusinessflightsHajholtLibyalicencesministerpilgrimagesaudi ArabiasectortourismTradetransporttravel

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Benghazi – some welcomed bright news!

Benghazi – some welcomed bright news!

Tripoli’s Cinnabon sales on a sugar high

Tripoli's Cinnabon sales on a sugar high

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

FX black-market has existed for years and decades, and eliminating it in a short period is impossible: CBL Governor Issa

Libyan Industry Union and National Economic and Social Development Board to sign MoU to support manufacturing business environment

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.