No Result
View All Result
Thursday, February 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Reports of Ghadames locust infestation “overblown”

byGeorge Grant
November 16, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By George Grant.

A square kilometre of locusts can eat the same amount of food in a day as 35,000 people.

London, 16 November:

Reports that Ghadames has been overrun by swarms of locusts are over-exaggerated, Libya’s national locust director has . . .[restrict]told the Libya Herald.

Local media has carried reports claiming that locust-control teams are fighting a losing battle against plagues of locusts laying waste to crops and other vegetation in the area.

“They are a group, not a swarm, and there is no real damage to crops”, said Khaled El-Gadgoud, national locust director at the Ministry of Agriculture. “They entered Libya the day before yesterday, most likely blown in from Algeria by some high winds from Tunisia”.

RELATED POSTS

First phase of technical study assessing existing damage to Zumurrud Mall project completed

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

“We have a team to check the area, and the locusts are scattering and dispersing”, he added.

Although the immediate threat has receded, Gadgoud cautioned the locust risk for this year had not yet passed. “It all depends on the weather, and the wind is the key factor”, he said. “Sometimes it is with you and sometimes it is against you; it depends on the direction”.

On 13 November, the UN’s Food and Agriculture Organisation put out a warning that Libya was amongst the countries at risk of swarms forming in the region, adding that the situation “remains serious”.

Southwest Libya is a breeding area for locusts and the country is particularly vulnerable this year owing to the serious damage done to locust-control equipment as a result of last year’s revolution.

Just 22,000 hectares of infested land were sprayed in the southwest this year, out of an at-risk area of some 50,000 hectares.

Regular ground surveys by national teams in Algeria and Libya were also disrupted by the upheavals in Libya, with Algerian teams unable to check areas close to the border and work on the Libyan side much reduced altogether.

In May, Libya was hit by a serious infestation, when tens of millions of locusts laid waste to swathes of cropland before moving south into Niger and Mali. The plague was expected to return to Libya around October to November.

Locust infestations were also reported northwest of Ghat in January and, with limited resources after the revolution, preventative control measures were restricted during the key egg-laying period of February to April.

During a serious plague, a swarm can stretch for several hundred square kilometres comprising billions of locusts, each capable of eating its own weight in food a day.

The desert locust is a species of Acridoidea, or short-horned grasshopper, that can form dense and highly mobile swarms of adults or bands of hoppers (wingless nymphs). Females lay between 80 and 158 eggs and can lay several times in their three to five month lifespan. A one square kilometre swarm of these animals eats the same amount of food in one day as 35,000 people. [/restrict]

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 18, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Next Post

Egyptian entry visa row unresolved

Magarief in talks with Saudi King Abdullah

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • National Development Agency signs partnership agreement with Signify Philips to enhance lighting projects in Libya

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of technical study assessing existing damage to Zumurrud Mall project completed

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.