No Result
View All Result
Friday, February 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Protests in Baida against Integrity Commission rejection of Shuwail for Interior Ministry

byMichel Cousins
November 16, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Protests in Baida against Integrity Commission rejection of Shuwail for Interior Ministry

Security officials in Beida protest at the ban on

Security officials in . . .[restrict]Beida protest at the Integrity Commission ban on Ashour Shuwail

By Maha Ellawati.

Benghazi, 15 November:

Members of the Supreme Security Committee and other security personnel in Baida protested today, Thursday, at the decision by the Integrity Commission to block the appointment of Ashour Sulaiman Shuwail as interior minister. The commission announced on Tuesday that he, along with three other of Prime Minister Ali Zeidn’s cabinet nominations, did not conform to standards of patriotism and integrity.

The commission is tasked with investigating any close links that appointees to high office may have had with the Qaddafi regime and any wrongdoing committed by them. However, so far it has not given any explanation as to why it disbarred Shuwail and the three others: Ali Mohammed Muhairiq, who was nominated for the Electricity portfolio, Abdulasalm Bashir Duabi (Higher Education) and Muaz Fathi Al-Khoja (Minister for Relations with Congress).

The Baida protestors accused the commission of lack of transparency and said they would take more forceful action if it does not explain the reasons for its decision.

RELATED POSTS

Spanish visiting medical team perform joint operations in Beida, US-based consultant visiting in Zintan

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

“We protest against the decision made by the Integrity Commission to exclude, for unfounded and unacceptable reasons, the revolutionary Dr Ashour Ashour Shawyil, nominated for the Interior Ministry post”, said Colonel Idris Khalifa Aljali, commander of the support battalion in Baida. “Should the Integrity Commission not disclose the real reasons behind Dr Shwayil’s exclusion, we will take further action.”

The protestors claimed that the 58-year old former senior army officer, who is from Baida, had fully supported of the revolution from the beginning and was being targeted because of it by “traitors”. His role in the revolution was well known in the east of the country, they said, and he had played a major role in the defence of Benghazi and fighting on the front.

The said they they knew best who was the real revolutionary and who the traitor.

In August, the commission disbarred Beida’s independent congressman, Abd Rabbah Mikael. The disbarment was upheld by the courts at the beginning of last month.

The Beida protest contrasts markedly with those in Tripoli immediately after the prime minister’s cabinet, including Shwayil, was approved by Congress on 31 October. Demonstrators turned up outside the Congress building to demand that he and five other nominees be dropped.

It also highlights the challenges facing the prime minister, with each town and region in the country insisting on representation in the cabinet.

However, there are growing calls for the commission to explain its decisions.

Yesterday, Wednesday, the disbarred nominee for the electricity ministry, Ali Mohammed Muhairiq expressed shock at the decision to disbar him. He said that had not held any positions in the Qaddafi regime and that he had been out of the country between 1981 and the revolution. He said he had joined the Libyan opposition abroad during that period.

“The decision has indeed come as a surprise to me and to all those who shared with me this critical stage of Libya’s history”, he said. He indicated he intended to challenge the ruling.

“While amazed at the commission’s decision, I am certain, God willing, that the Libyan judiciary system will nullify such a decision “.

The courts have already overturned a number of commission disbarments.

With input by Hadi Fornaji

  [/restrict]

Tags: BeidaLibyaSSC

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Next Post

Benghazi hospital ward attacked

Libyan and Italian music concert in Tripoli next week

Libyan and Italian music concert in Tripoli next week

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

Military Industrialization Organisation delivers 7,000 cooking gas cylinders it has manufactured locally to Brega Oil Marketing Company

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.