No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Mahmoud Jibril says NATO departure from Libya “premature”

byGeorge Grant
November 2, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Mahmoud Jibril says NATO departure from Libya “premature”

A sign in Tripoli thanks NATO and allied countries for supporting last year's uprising. (Photo: George Grant)

By Hadi Fornaji.

A sign in Tripoli thanks NATO and allied countries for supporting last year’s uprising, February 2012. (Photo: George Grant)

Tripoli, 2 November:

The United States and NATO were premature in withdrawing from Libya and suffered their own “mission accomplished” . . .[restrict]moment when the Qaddafi regime fell last year, Mahmoud Jibril has controversially claimed.

The National Forces Alliance chief said that the decision had risked opening up a power vacuum in Libya, which could be exploited by militant Islamists and other armed groups.

“After the collapse of the regime, the immediate task of our friends was to help us rebuild the government before they withdrew from Libya,” Jibril said on Wednesday, during a visit to the United States.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

“The moment the regime fell down, they felt that their mission has been accomplished. I think it was a premature decision.”

Former US President George W. Bush famously delivered a televised speech in May 2003 aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln to announce the end of major combat operations in Iraq under a huge banner stating “Mission Accomplished”. US involvement in the conflict was to continue for another eight years.

Unlike in Iraq, however, there was no major ground operation by foreign forces in Libya, and nor was there the prospect of NATO continuing operations any longer than was needed to enforce United Nations Security Council Resolution 1973, which formed the legal basis for the intervention.

Contrary to Jibril’s comments, it is widely felt in Western capitals and elsewhere that a more enduring NATO presence in Libya could have helped fuel unrest and extremism, not prevent it.

Jibril, who served as the NTC’s interim prime minister during the revolution, argued that in order to reduce the problem of violence in Libya, it was now essential to open up a national dialogue that could include all social, political and religious groups.

His greatest fear was that these groups would refuse to negotiate, perhaps out of religious ideology or fear of marginalisation.

“What I’m afraid of is when those elements refuse to sit around one table and discuss the future of the country,” Jibril said.

“That’s a scary scenario. The alternative, unfortunately, is not a good one.” He suggested that the country had “about a year” to work out a national dialogue that included all of these factions.

Jibril is no stranger to controversy in his public statements. At the beginning of August he warned that “Libya could go the way of Iraq and Somalia if assassinations and bombings in Benghazi were to continue”.

The remarks followed a wave of targeted killings, many of them against former Qaddafi-era army officers, that had been taking place in the eastern city. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibya

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Major demonstration planned today by thuwar demanding removal of ministers

Libyan amongst 12 Al-Qaeda suspects arrested in Cairo

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libyan Industry Union and National Economic and Social Development Board to sign MoU to support manufacturing business environment

CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.