No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Three killed in Bani Walid

byGeorge Grant
October 12, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

Tripoli, 12 October:

Three civilians have been killed in a bombardment on Bani Walid, according to a doctor working in the town.  . . .[restrict]It is reported that 35 others were injured.

The fatalities occurred when a suspected Grad rocket hit their house close to the centre of Bani Walid on Wednesday.

“There was heavy fighting on Wednesday and also some fighting yesterday”, said Taha Mohammed, a doctor at Bani Walid hospital. “Three people have been killed, including an eight-year old boy, and perhaps seven or eight injured. None of the injuries are too serious”.

As with all previous attacks on the town, the recent bombardments came from the Mordum area, some 30 kilometres forward from the predominantly Misratan camp stationed at Bir Dufan.

RELATED POSTS

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

A spokesman for the General Staff, Ali Sheikhi, was reported on Thursday by the Al-Watania TV channel as saying that clashes had started after Libya Shield Forces in the Mordum area came under attack on Wednesday.

He added that the Chief of Staff, Yusuf Mangoush, had ordered the Shield forces in Mordum to remain in position until further notice and that the same order has gone to other forces surrounding Bani Walid.

Heavy shelling also took place last Sunday and Monday, resulting in 56 patients being admitted to hospital in Bani Walid, 26 of those having reportedly been exposed to some form of gas.

Both the office of General Yusuf Mangoush and forces at Bir Dufan have denied having any gas in their possession, and it remains a strong possibility that any emissions were the result of some facility being hit during the bombardment as opposed to directly from the munitions themselves.

In that instance, all 26 casualties were admitted from the Mordum area. One man from Bani Walid was also killed during an attack on Mordum on 2 October, and several injured.

The deadline for Bani Walid to hand over those suspected of involvement in the death of Omran Shaban expired on 10 October, but General Mangoush is not believed to have authorised the most recent actions against Bani Walid, having previously confirmed to the Libya Herald that the pre-10 October assaults were unauthorised.

The General Staff spokesman indicated the troops stationed around Bani Walid would stay in position until a political decision was made expressed regarding Bani Walid.  The hope was that the situation be resolved by mediation before military action became necessary.

Sheikhi denied that the Libyan army was stopping food or medicines getting into Bani Walid. On the contrary, he said, strict instructions had been given not to prevent the movement of such supplies. The army’s role for the moment, he insisted, was to prevent weapons and ammunition getting in which might then be used against the armed forces.

  [/restrict]

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

US Chargé d'affaires arrives in Tripoli

Ali Zidan emerges as front-runner in race for prime minister

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.