No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Tanks, RPGs and anti-aircraft guns surrendered as Tripoli weapons handover begins

byGeorge Grant
September 30, 2012
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Tanks, RPGs and anti-aircraft guns surrendered as Tripoli weapons handover begins

Small arms, heavy machine guns and explosives were handed over to the National Army in Tripoli today.

By George Grant.

Small arms, heavy machine guns and explosives were handed over to the National Army in Tripoli today. (Photo: George Grant)

Tripoli, 29 September:

Militiamen and private citizens turned out in their hundreds if not thousands on Tripoli’s Martyr’s Square today . . .[restrict]to hand over weapons acquired during and after last year’s revolution that drove the Qaddafi regime from power.

Small arms, anti-aircraft guns and RPGs were delivered by the truckload to the sounds of a military marching band, pop music and a running commentary via megaphone of who had delivered what.

For a moment, each man was made to feel like a star as his name and the weapons he had surrendered were announced with the sort of enthusiasm usually reserved to declare an arriving president. Cheers of “God is Great” went up as the next man stepped forward and the process was repeated again.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba opens First Phase of Tripoli’s Third Ring Road

On the day of first direct Tripoli to Rome flight, MoU signed between Libyan Civil Aviation and its Italian counterpart

Two tanks were also brought along to be delivered to the waiting National Army. The first tank belonged to the Triq Asour brigade, located near to Qaddafi’s former compound of Bab Al-Azizya and said to have been hitherto independent of either the Army or the Ministry of Interior. It is not known who brought the second.

“We came today because Libya is free and we no longer need these weapons”, said Ahmed Abdullah Brishny, a member of the Zawiya brigade who had just handed in two 14.5mm and 12.5mm machine guns, a Kalashnikov and several cases of ammunition.

Bearded and berobed, Brishny declared that he had full confidence in the Army and wanted to remind people that Islam is a religion of peace.

“Islam is for peace, not for killing”, he said. “We felt collectively responsible for the disaster that befell the American ambassador in Benghazi. We have to stop these radical religious people”.

Brishny explained that his brigade had been galvanised to merge with the Army following the events in Benghazi and that the vast majority of weapons in Zawiya had already been handed over.

A member of the Zawiya brigade (left) hands in his weapons cache. (Photo: George Grant)

“The Libyan people have decided to move from fighting a revolution to building a country”, said Brigadier Hussein Abdullah, one of the officers overseeing the weapons collection.

“We are working day and night to build a new Libyan Army and to protect the people”.

Given the Army’s comparative weakness, those in attendance at today’s event had remarkable confidence in its capacity to keep them safe.

The two decorated Hyundai hatchbacks, flat-screen televisions and iPads which are to be given away in a prize draw at the conclusion of the hand-in tomorrow evening do not appear to have offered a comparable incentive.

“As ordinary people, we want to support our Army, and that means trusting them to protect us”, said Abdul Ben Ashour, an engineer waiting to hand over his Kalashnikov. “I trust the Army because it belongs to the Government of the new Libya”.

The Tripoli weapons handover is being accompanied by a parallel event taking place in Benghazi, and the Government has declared its intention to roll out the programme across the country.

The initiative had been due to begin on 16 September, but was postponed when the Government declared that a new annual Martyr’s Day celebration was to be held then instead.

Thousands of small arms and heavier type weapons are still believed to be in the hands of militia and private citizens across Libya, and it remains to be seen how successful the programme will be elsewhere.

Yesterday evening saw Islamist demonstrators in Benghazi set two cars ablaze and lob hand grenades at an Interior Ministry building in protest at the disbanding of the Ansar Al-Sharia brigade, believed to have been involved in the fatal attack on the US Consulate on 11 September.

The Government has said that all militias in Libya must now submit to the authority of the Army or be disbanded.

Questions remain, however, as to whether these brigades will be broken up with members joining the security services as individuals, which many in Congress and on the street have called for, or else merge as complete units.

There is also considerable uncertainty as to how quickly the Government will be able to impose its will on parts of the country where the state’s authority remains comparatively weak, such as Zintan, large swathes of the south and the former Qaddafi stronghold of Bani Walid.

Correction — The commander of the Triq Asour brigade contacted the Libya Herald to inform us that he only had one tank, which had been handed in. The authorities at the weapons collection had informed this paper the brigade was responsible for both tanks. We apologise for this error. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibyamilitiaTripoli

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post
Political leaders to commemorate Libya’s first Prime Minister, Mahmoud Muntasser

Political leaders to commemorate Libya's first Prime Minister, Mahmoud Muntasser

Carnival atmosphere in Benghazi as weapons collection gets underway

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

HoR Members, Benghazi Municipality and Benghazi Chamber meet British business delegation visiting Benghazi

There is no shortage of food supplies in the Libyan marketplace: Customs Authority

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.