No Result
View All Result
Thursday, February 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Benghazi Congress members call on government to go further in disbanding militias

byGeorge Grant
September 27, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By George Grant.

Members of Congress for Benghazi making their announcement in the National Congress yesterday. (Photo: Sami Zaptia)

Tripoli, 27 September:

Benghazi’s Congressmen and women have called on the government to go further in establishing full control over . . .[restrict]the city by disbanding all militias and incorporating their members into the security services as individuals.

Last week, it was announced that officers from the National Army would be placed in command of all militias still operational in Benghazi, including the two largest, the 17 February brigade and the Libya Shield brigade.

It was also decided that at least three others, including the Islamist Ansar Al-Sharia brigade, were to be disbanded completely following a wave of popular protest demanding an end to militia rule in the city.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba proposes new Road Map for holding elections, loans and land for youth and money for healthcare for war wounded

Cooperation agreements reached between Libyan and the Greek pharmaceutical and medical companies: Tripoli Chamber of Commerce

“Putting officers in charge of the brigades is a first step”, Congressman Suleiman Zubi told the Libya Herald today. “As a next step, the Army must coordinate the breaking-up of these groups altogether”.

Yesterday, the Benghazi Congress members issued a statement welcoming the progress that had already been made to establish control over the militias, whilst emphasising their appreciation for the role they played in liberating Libya last year.

The group said, however, that the era of the revolutionary brigades in Benghazi must now come to an end.

“[We] would like to confirm… the necessity of reactivating the role of the army and the police, and the forbidding of any military grouping to exist outside the framework of the law”, the group said in a statement yesterday.

“[We emphasise] the necessity of all revolutionaries to join the organs of the state without any delay, and the disbanding of any groupings that refuse to do so”.

Last Friday witnessed an unprecedented rally in Benghazi of between 30,000 and 40,000 people demanding an end to militia rule in the city.

Several brigades were subsequently driven out of their bases by protesters resulting in clashes which left at least 11 people dead.

To date, the Government and the National Army have agreed a six-point plan to establish full control over the city, including the establishment of a unified operations room in Benghazi for the enrolment of all militias under the authority of the Ministry of Defence.

Citizens of Benghazi have also been forbidden from carrying weapons in public places and no checkpoints can be set up that are not officially mandated.

Both the Benghazi Congress members and the government have called for restraint in the city, and have requested citizens to afford them time to fully implement the changes.

Further demonstrations, including potential civil disobedience, have been planned for this Friday, and the authorities are asking Benghazi residents to cancel such plans for fear they could stoke further unrest in city. [/restrict]

Tags: featured

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 18, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Next Post
Jibril claims “international intelligence agency” was responsible for Qaddafi death

Jibril claims “international intelligence agency” was responsible for Qaddafi death

Khoms militia close coastal road demanding capture and prosecution of Omran Shaban killers

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • National Development Agency signs partnership agreement with Signify Philips to enhance lighting projects in Libya

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of technical study assessing existing damage to Zumurrud Mall project completed

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.