No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libya ‘agrees’ to recruit 10,000 Egyptians: Cairo minister

byMichel Cousins
June 7, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

Cairo, 7 June:

Libya has agreed to take 10,000 Egyptian workers to meet the country’s needs according to Egyptian Assistant Foreign Minister . . .[restrict]for Consular Affairs and Egyptians abroad, Ahmed Ragheb. Speaking on Wednesday, he said that the agreement was on a state-to-state basis and would be processed through Egypt’s Labour Ministry. This, he said, was to ensure that the workers were not exploited by labour middlemen.

There have been number of statements in recent months both from Libyan and Egyptian officials about Libya recruiting Egyptian workers. About two-thirds of the 1.5 million who worked in the country before the revolution fled but now want to return.  In April, Libyan Labour Minister Mustafa Rujbani was reported in Egypt saying that Libya hoped to recruit a million of them and that they were needed in the agriculture, comnstruction, health care and pharmaceutical sectors.

Last month, however, Foreign Minister Ashour Bin Khayal said that the Libyan economy could not cope with the number of Egyptians wanting to work in the country.  Speaking at a Non-Aligned conference in Sharm El Sheikh, he said that Egyptian workers would have a major role in Libya once the economy has stabilised, but not yet.  It is not clear if Raghab’s comments represent a change of Libyan heart or were merely a polite representation of Libya’s longer-term expectations.

Speaking on Wednesday, Ragheb also said that the Egyptian-Libyan consular committee had held its first meeting since the revolutions in both countries and had focused in particular on the need to re-impose law and order on both sides of the border and crack down on smuggling, in particular the smuggling of arms into Egypt.  Considerable numbers of weapons from Libya, mostly heading for Sinai and then to Gaza, have been seized by the Egyptian authorities in recent months.

RELATED POSTS

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

The committee had agreed to set up a joint security committee.  Its task would be to establish ways to stop the smuggling.

Ragheb also noted that Libya had again demanded the handover of Qaddafi regime officials hiding in Egypt. He said that there was agreement in principal but that full files on wanted persons were needed and the legality of handing them over had to be studied.  This would be the focal point in discussions between the two countries’ Ministries of Justice he said. [/restrict]

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Highlight of the government’s weekly press conference

French celebrate Bir Hakim’s 70th anniversary

French celebrate Bir Hakim's 70th anniversary

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC chairman participates in expanded meeting on new fuel import mechanism through tender

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.