No Result
View All Result
Friday, February 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Three-day event in Tripoli to announce “Nation Party”

byMichel Cousins
June 9, 2017
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Three-day event in Tripoli to announce “Nation Party”

Ali Sallabi said he was acting on the instructions of NTC Chairman Mustafa Abdul Jalil

By Umar Khan 

Tripoli, April 10

Dr Ali Salabi

The formation of the new “Nation Party” (Hizb Al-Watan), a conservative . . .[restrict]force which has the backing of the prominent and respected Islamic cleric Dr Ali Salabi, is to be announced on April 16. The announcement will come at the end of a three-day event in Tripoli attended by newly elected delegates from cities across Libya.

According to party coordinator Mohammed Ghula, Dr Salabi will be a non-active member.

The idea of the party was raised at a conference last year but it took a while before things could be put in order. The organizers came up with the name of the “Nation Party” earlier this year. The process to register members began after offices were opened in towns and cities.  According to Ghula there had been a very signficant response.

RELATED POSTS

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

Military Industrialization Organisation delivers 7,000 cooking gas cylinders it has manufactured locally to Brega Oil Marketing Company

“We have party offices in 27 cities and the newly registered members will attend the three-day event starting on April 14. The transitional leadership will be elected and the party will be formally announced after that,” he said.

There are many prominent people associated with the party including Abdul Hakim Belhaj, the former head of the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group (LIFG) and current head of the Tripoli Military Council as well as Mahmoud Hamza, Ali Zidan and Mansour Saif Al-Nasar.

Abdul Hakim Belhaj (Photo: Umar Khan)

Ghula was appreciative of the role the NTC had played in the early stages. “The NTC did a great job at the beginning of the revolution up until the announcement of liberation. They were supposed to leave after that but they never did. I think they could have done a better job.”

The elections are due in less than three months. When asked if the party would be ready to participate in the elections, Ghula answered that “we are ready for the June elections”. He did, however, think that rumours about a delay in the poll could be true. “A delay in the elections is expected as the NTC committee has not completed any step on time,” he said. “However, if the delay is for a few months, it will give some more time to the smaller and unorganized parties.”

Some reports surfaced last week about growing “differences of opinion” within the party and there were some serious concerns expressed by a few members of the LIFG. This then led to reports that the whole LIFG group might split from and form their own party. However, the differences were resolved and an agreement was reached between the party leaders.

Referring to the alleged differences, Ghula said that “anybody not happy with the party or the way it is going is free to leave. There were a few concerns from some of the members but everything is fine now. We met a number of times and finalized everything.”

Speaking about the regulations related to the party funding, he was stressed that all funding would be according to the law. “We will not accept any funding with conditions. It will all be done according to the law.”

When asked about the alleged Qatari links of Abdul Hakim Belhaj and the investment indirectly coming from a foreign state, he said “no member is obliged to pay money to the party and, just to put the record straight, up to now, he [Abdul Hakim Belhaj] has not given a single dinar to the party”.

The party will have a zero tolerance policy towards corruption says the spokesman. “We will make sure our members are not involved in any kind of corruption. The National Anti-Corruption Bureau will monitor the members of the congress and, at the same time, we will keep an eye on the party members internally in order to ensure accountability and to cross-check their performances and to see if they’re delivering on the promises they made to the public,” he said.

“The aim of the party is to preserve the identity of Libya as a Muslim country,” Ghula said, talking about the nature of the party. When asked if the party would join any coalition, he said the party was open to ideas but nothing had been decided as yet.

Speaking about the competition for votes in the upcoming elections, he said “it will be different as the people believe in the names and not in the party itself. That will change though. It will be very competitive and I think Mahmood Jibril’s coalition, the Muslim Brotherhood’s Justice and Construction party and the National Front for the Salvation of Libya will be our main competitors.”

Umar Khan can be found at twitter.com/umarnkhan

Tweet
[/restrict]

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Next Post

Vatican ambassador in Tripoli

Bomb thrown at UN convoy in Bengahzi

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

Military Industrialization Organisation delivers 7,000 cooking gas cylinders it has manufactured locally to Brega Oil Marketing Company

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.