No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

British press claims UK intelligence worked with Qaddafi

byMichel Cousins
April 23, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By George Grant.

London 22 April:

Fresh allegations have emerged regarding the work of British intelligence with the Qaddafi regime, with both MI5 . . .[restrict]and MI6 involved.

The allegations come a week after Abdel Hakim Belhaj began legal proceedings against Jack Straw, claiming the former British foreign secretary personally authorised his extradition to Libya by the CIA in 2004.

Today, the UK newspaper the Mail on Sunday claimed to have seen secret documents revealing that MI5 operatives betrayed Libyan dissidents to Qaddafi agents in London and Manchester in 2006.

RELATED POSTS

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Meanwhile the Sunday Telegraph, another British paper, claimed that MI6 agents worked together with members of Qaddafi’s external intelligence service, the ESO, to set up a mosque in Western Europe in 2004 in order to lure in Al-Qaeda terrorists.

The British government has said it will “take seriously” the allegations, whilst Lord Carlisle QC, the former reviewer of UK anti-terror legislation, has called for an inquiry.

Both newspapers say the claims came from documents that became available in Libya after Qaddafi’s fall last year in a revolution which the UK backed militarily.

As with the Belhaj case, both of these alleged instances took place at a time when the UK was seeking to develop closer relations with Libya on international terrorism and over the decommissioning of its nuclear programme.

The allegations concerning MI5 are of particular legal concern because they suggest that MI5 “betrayed the confidentially that all refugees are promised when they apply for asylum”, according to the Mail on Sunday.

Experts in refugee law have claimed that the documents implicating MI5 suggest breaches of the Geneva Conventions, the Human Rights Act and criminal law, although nothing has yet been proven.

The documents allegedly reveal meetings between MI5 and their Libyan counterparts in both Tripoli and London, and “approaches” by Libyan agents to their targets in London and Manchester in August and October 2006.

MI5, it is claimed, wanted to turn the refugees into sources of their own, in the belief that the body to which they belonged – the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group – was linked to Al-Qaeda and a threat to UK national security.

The Sunday Telegraph, meanwhile, claims that cooperation betweein MI6 and the EOS extended to recruiting an agent to infiltrate an Al-Qaeda terrorist cell in the Western European city where they established the mosque, which the paper says it cannot name for security reasons.

The paper also claims that its operations with the EOS were kept secret from the authorities of the country in which they were taking place.

The double agent recruited by MI6 and the EOS allegedly had close relations with a senior Al-Qaeda commander in Iraq. The Sunday Telegraph claims that cooperation began in December 2003 when the agent, codenamed “Joseph” and a Libyan operative were flown to meetings at British hotels to discuss setting up a mosque to attract North African terror suspects.

As with the MI5 operation, MI6 were hoping to gain “information on terrorist planning”, and were using the opening-up of relations with the Qaddafi regime to that end.

David Davis, a senior British MP, described MI5’s alleged actions as “an appalling betrayal of Britain’s obligations and traditions” and added his voice to calls for an investigation.

However, a British security source speaking to the Mail on Sunday defended the actions of the UK’s intelligence services, arguing: “Many of the jihadist fighters picked up in Afghanistan after 2001 were Libyans. They posed a threat and had to be closely monitored”.

 

  [/restrict]

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Juwaily defends record

Alitalia Benghazi-Rome flights take off in June

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.