No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Summit on border smuggling planned with neighbouring states

byMichel Cousins
September 8, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporters.

Tripoli, 2 March 2012:

Libya plans to hold a ministerial summit with regional and neighboring states to discuss border security, according to the Foreign Ministry.  . . .[restrict]The meeting is to take place in Tripoli on 11 and 12 March.

Officials from the interior and defence ministries of Egypt, Tunisia, Algeria, Chad, Niger, Mali, Mauritania, Morocco and Sudan as well as security experts from each of these countries are expected to attend a preparatory meeting on 9 and 10 March.

A foreign ministry official stated in Thursday that since the fall of the Qaddafi regime, Libya’s borders had become even more porous than ever, with smuggling of both arms and people difficult to control.

RELATED POSTS

After a 10-year hiatus, CT scan service at Tripoli Children’s Teaching Hospital restarted

LFB recovering funds in several locations secretly to protect the funds and process: LFB Chairman Addarrat

There have been regular reports of Libyans weapons being taken to Egypt, Tunisia, Algeria and elsewhere. It is claimed they are being used in the latest Tuareg rebellion in Mali.

Last month, Algerian official announced that security forces had discovered a large cache of weapons, including shoulder-fired missiles, which they said were smuggled from Libya. Also last month there were warnings from the Tunisia’s Minister of the Interior Ali Larayedh of Tunisian Salafists acquiring Libyan weapons. He said the proliferation of weapons from Libya posed a “great threat” to all North Africa.

Late last year, Egyptians authorities seized Libyan arms being smuggled across the border and claimed that Libyan weapons, including surface-to-air missiles, had turned up as far away as the Sinai peninsula.

While attending the African Union summit in Addis Ababa in January, Prime Minister Abdurrahim al-Kib had called for a regional security conference to tackle the proliferation of weapons by exiled supporters of the former regime.

“(There is) still a real threat from some of the armed remnants of the former regime who escaped outside the country and still roam freely,” Keib told African Union leaders. This is a threat for us, for neighboring countries and our shared relations.”

He made his call after a UN report said that last year’s Libya revolution may have enabled militant groups in Africa’s Sahel region like Boko Haram and Al-Qaeda to acquire large weapons caches.

Next week’s meeting will discuss more than arms.  According to Al-Kib, it will be an opportunity for “consultations on border control, in order to meet the security challenges of present and future, including illegal immigration”.

With its the long desert border, which are not subject to full control, Libya has, for a number of years, been the preferred route for hundreds of thousands of African migrants aiming to get to Europe. During the Qaddafi years this was at times actively encouraged in order to pressurize Europe into making political and financial concessions.

Migrants to Europe from sub-Saharan Africa are still crossing the desert into Libya in the hope of making it across the Mediterranean to Europe. Libya Herald has met with a number of migrants, men and women, who recently travelled by truck from Nigeria to Tripoli.

Meanwhile, a representatives of a Libyan Tebu tribe in Tripoli for Thursday’s First Libyan Tebu Conference said his tribe was doing all in it power to control the desert border. He described it as the centre for the smuggling of all kinds of goods as well as people. He also said that Senussi Tabu and other tribes stationed in the town of Kufra operated informal patrols to monitor the border because the official unit in charge of the task had fled following the fall of Muammar Qaddafi.

 

[/restrict]

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post

Libya-Tunisian border calm again

Tunisian workers to get priority

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

After a 10-year hiatus, CT scan service at Tripoli Children’s Teaching Hospital restarted

LFB recovering funds in several locations secretly to protect the funds and process: LFB Chairman Addarrat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.