No Result
View All Result
Thursday, February 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Salafists damage statues in Sabratha

byMichel Cousins
March 19, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Salafists damage statues in Sabratha

Sabratha (Photo: Marcus Rhinelander)

Sabratha (Photo: Marcus Rhinelander)

Tripoli, . . .[restrict]March 18: Salafists attacked Roman statuary at Sabratha on Friday morning. It is reported by local residents that they destroyed one statue, did some slight damage to another and then tried to get into the museum before being stopped by guards.

According to Salah Agab, Chairman of the Department of Antiquities, only one statue was damaged.  “They tried to break a statue near the Roman baths,” said. “But it’s not original.”  He said it was a copy.

Agab said those responsible were the same people who have been attacking marabouts’ tombs in mosques across the country.

There has been a spate of such attacks.

Earlier this month, several hundred Salafists arrived in Zliten from across the country intent on destroying the tomb of one of the most revered Libyan Sufis, Sidi Abdul-Salam Al-Asmar.  Confronted by furious local brigadesmen supported by others from Misrata, they withdrew after a group of leading figures from the town and nearby Khoms, M’salata and Misrata then intervened.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba proposes new Road Map for holding elections, loans and land for youth and money for healthcare for war wounded

Cooperation agreements reached between Libyan and the Greek pharmaceutical and medical companies: Tripoli Chamber of Commerce

Meanwhile, it has been confirmed that Agab has been reinstated in his post as head of the antiquities department.

He had stood down last week after number of employees at the department demanded that he be removed because he had been appointed during the Qaddafi period. Agab, trained as an archeologist in the UK, was appointed only a year before the revolution broke out.

At Leptis Magna, some staff forced the closure of the site on Wednsday, handing disappointed visitors leaflets with a list of demands.  These not only included the investigation and removal from the department of management who worked there during the Qaddafi period but also a list of more pecuniary demands — bonuses for working at a dangerous site, extra payments for those who guard the place and previous bonuses to be paid as well as the demand that Leptis Magna be administered by a local antiquities department not one based in Tripoli

Following the intervention of Prime Minister Abdurrahim Al-Kib who was attending the national reconciliation conference in nearby Zliten, the strikers went back to work the next day and Agab was confirmed as the department’s head. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredSalafists attack sabratha

Related Posts

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 18, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
Next Post
Feb17.info calls it a day

Feb17.info calls it a day

British journalists released; to be deported Monday

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • National Development Agency signs partnership agreement with Signify Philips to enhance lighting projects in Libya

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

Misrata Chamber to hold workshop on “Advance Consignment Information (ACI)’’ imported cargo tracking and registration system adopted by Libya

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.