No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Qaddafi ghost haunts Libyan assets in East Africa

byMichel Cousins
February 26, 2012
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Qaddafi ghost haunts Libyan assets in East Africa

Uganda Telecoms is one of the Libyan assets in Uganda that its government is grappling

Reproduced with permission from the The  Monitor, Kampala


Uganda Telecoms is one of the Libyan assets in Uganda that its government is grappling with.
Nearly three months since the lifting of sanctions on . . .[restrict]Libya by the United Nations Security Council, uncertainty surrounds the fate and ownership of businesses owned by Tripoli across East Africa. It has now emerged that the UN is still investigating these investments.
Two weeks ago, a committee of the Security Council was in Kampala to determine if the investments and assets that were acquired during the late Libyan president Muammar Gaddafi’s reign qualify for the lifting of sanctions so that they are “made available to and for the benefit of the people of Libya.”

Donald Nyakairu, managing director of Uganda Telecom, a company in which the Libyan African Investment Portfolio (LAP) owns a 69 per cent stake, told The EastAfrican that the UN sanctions on the company have not been lifted.

“The UN Security Council Committee was here two weeks ago and the sanctions on Libyan Investment Authority are still on in the member states,” Mr Nyakairu said. The problem with Libyan assets in Uganda, Rwanda, South Sudan, Zambia and several countries in West Africa is that the Security Council is yet to establish if they were personal holdings of the Qaddafi family or belonged to the Libyan government.

Libya used its oil wealth to invest outside the country in the telecommunications sector in Uganda, Rwanda, Zambia, South Sudan, Sierra Leone, Ivory Coast, Niger, Guinea (Conakry) and Benin; it has interests in hotels, textile manufacturing and food processing in Uganda, as well as oil engineering and retail businesses in Kenya and Uganda.

Major investments: Tropical Bank is one of the Libyan investments in Uganda. The purchase was made during the Gaddafi era.  Picture: Morgan Mbabazi
Major investments: Tropical Bank is one of the Libyan investments in Uganda. Picture: Morgan Mbabazi

Established with $5 billion worth of investment capital under General People’s Decree No. 15 in 2006, LAP was supervised by Libya’s sovereign wealth fund, the Libyan Investment Authority (LIA), which oversees the spending of oil dollars.

RELATED POSTS

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Of grave concern for the Security Council, however, is that LIA was controlled by the Gaddafi family and close associates of his regime. Hence, it is not clear whether LAP was a government investment vehicle or whether it was fused with the Gaddafi family holdings.

Thus Libyan investments in many African countries under the LAP remain a subject of restrictions even after the United States, the UN and European Union have lifted sanctions against Tripoli.

Lifting of sanctions

In December last year, the UN lifted sanctions on assets and financial institutions whose ownership was clear, top of these being the Libyan Central Bank, thus clearing billions of dollars that Libya held overseas to be unfrozen, easing the cash crisis for the new Tripoli government, the National Transitional Council (NTC).

East African states had earlier stated that they would hand over Libya’s assets to the NTC government once the African Union officially recognised it as the fully-fledged authority in Tripoli, which it was expected to during its recently concluded Summit in Addis Ababa. However, the Summit did not debate the issue as it could trigger more tensions between the AU and the UN. In a telephone interview last week, Kenya’s Foreign Affairs Minister Moses Wetangula told The EastAfrican that the African Union has no mandate to decide the fate of the country’s investments. “Libya invested in individual states and not the jurisdiction of the African Union,” he said. “As far as Libyan investments (in Kenya) are concerned, they remain protected, and nobody will misappropriate them.”

Mr Wetangula said Libya’s investment in Kenya belongs to a sovereign state and will only be handed over to NTC upon request.

By contrast, the Ugandan government, which enjoyed warm relations with Qaddafi’s Libya, is keen to hand Libyan assets to the NTC, according to State Minister of Foreign Affairs Henry Okello-Oryem. “Uganda in line with the UN Security Council, which is lifting sanctions on Libya’s assets throughout the world, is willing to return the Libyan companies including UTL and Tropical Bank to resume operations normally,” he said. “We have already informed the foreign ministry of Libya and it is up to them to decide when they are to start managing their business.”

Now another twist has been added to this development. Influential local businessmen have obtained a court order to block the NTC from taking over the 49 percent Libyan shareholding, worth about $21.1 million in the National Housing and Construction Company.

The businessmen claim that Tripoli owes their firm Southern Investments $9.5 million for management services they rendered to the Libyans in 2001 to recover a debt of $167 million from the Uganda government.

Political analysts have interpreted this as a sign of Uganda’s hostility towards the new order in Tripoli. “We as a country are now hostile to the new regime in Tripoli. So all these issues start coming up,” said Charles Rwomushana, politician and geopolitical analyst, who has also worked in the office of the president.

[/restrict]

Related Posts

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments
Business

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

November 29, 2025
Ministry of Housing in discussions with Ernst & Young in London
Business

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

November 29, 2025
Minister of Industry meets the Committee for Localisation of Oil Materials and Equipment Industry
Business

Industry and Minerals Ministry signs MoU with Hungary’s Rotary International Co. for joint infrastructure investment projects

November 29, 2025
NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port
Business

NOC reviews Poland’s Puna oil company’s 2025-26 exploration plans in the Murzuq Basin

November 29, 2025
LAIP delegation visits Maputo, Mozambique to recover seized rice project
Business

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio holds coordination meeting with Nigerian embassy on Transit Corridors Project

November 28, 2025
Libyan Export Promotion Centre changes to become Libyan Export Development Authority – new logo adopted
Business

Libyan Export Development Authority to launch subsidised direct shipping service to Sub-Saharan African ports

November 28, 2025
Next Post

France offers to help control Libya border

Face of the new LD10 banknote

New LD10 notes arrive from France

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libya’s energy transition represents one of North Africa’s most significant infrastructure opportunities: LBBC Chairman Peter Millett

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.