No Result
View All Result
Monday, February 16, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Clashes in Kufra appear finally over

byMichel Cousins
February 17, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

The fighting in Kufra between the Tebu and the Zway tribe backed by brigadesmen flown to the southeastern town by the . . .[restrict]Defence Ministry appeared to have ended on late Tuesday afternoon after Tebu fighters surrendered. Despite having heavy weaponry they had been pinned down in parts of the town inhabited by Tebu residents. Libyan security sources say that among those captured were 30 members of the Justice and Equality Movement (JEM), the rebel organisation that has been fighting in Sudan’s Darfur province.

The leader of the Tebu in Kufra, Isa Abdul Majid, was said by Tebu residents on Tuesday to have fled to the border area with Chad.  The fighting had lasted for three days.

It had been reported on Tuesday that a total of 17 people had been killed in the fighting but Tebu resident Hussein Al-Lashi claimed today, Wednesday, that some 50 Tubu people alone had been killed, including women and children. There has been no independent verification of this.  However, security sources said on Tuesday that the fighting had been intense.

The announcement that JEM fighters are among those captured would, if confirmed, back up claims that Isa was importing foreign troops into the area in order to dominate and control the area.  Tebu account for less than five percent of the population in Kufra.  The Zway tribe, who are also found elsewhere in eastern Libya, account for around 70 percent.

JEM members are largely from the Kobe people, a sub-tribe the Zaghawa people found in both Chad and Darfur.  They are, however, related to the Tebu, who are also found in Chad as well as Niger and Algeria.

RELATED POSTS

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

Last year, the Libyan Tebu were early supporters of the uprising to overthrow the Qaddafi dictatorship, although Isa Abdul Majid had originally been an ally of Qaddafi. JEM, on the other hand, were firmly linked to the regime having been funded and armed by Qaddafi to destabilise Sudan.  During the uprising he then used them to try and attack the revolutionary forces in the east of the country.  They raided Kufra more than once.

The well-armed members of the movement have been in disarray since its leader Khalil Ibrahim was killed in a Sudanese government raid in December. [/restrict]

Related Posts

NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

China appoints Ma Xueliang as its new ambassador to Libya – after a 10-year gap

February 13, 2026
After a ten-year hiatus, Al-Khadra hospital’s Eye Clinic reopens
Libya

Al-Hadaba Al-Khadra General Hospital announces resumption of hip replacement surgeries after a two-year hiatus

February 12, 2026
Next Post
Belgium looks to help Libyan disarmament

Belgium looks to help Libyan disarmament

US imposes sanctions on Saadi supporter

US imposes sanctions on Saadi supporter

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Saif al-Islam Qaddafi buried in Bani Walid next to his brother – thousands attend funeral as supporters of former regime display old green flag

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • LIA discusses with China’s Chargé d’affaires reinvesting Libya’s Security Council frozen assets to preserve their value

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.