No Result
View All Result
Saturday, August 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

UN backs Al-Kib’s programme

byMichel Cousins
February 1, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Abderrahman al-Kib with other African leaders during the inauguration ceremony of the new African Union Conference Centre in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia

Abderrahman al-Kib with other African leaders during the inauguration ceremony of the new African Union Conference Centre in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia

Conference Centre in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.”]Prime Minister Abderrahman Al-Kib with other African leaders during the inauguration ceremony for the new African Union Conference Centre  in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has expressed his “support” for the work of Libya’s government according to a UN statement issued on Sunday. He “commended” the prime minister on the public consultation process for the new electoral law and “reaffirmed the commitment of the United Nations, particularly through the U.N. Support Mission in Libya, to continue to provide support in the areas of elections, security, human rights and transitional justice as requested by the authorities”.

The statement followed his meeting with Libyan Prime Minister Abderrahim Al-Kib on the sidelines of the African Union summit in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.  The summit ends on Monday.

The two reportedly discussed security in Libya as well as plans “to improve conditions of detention,” the statement said.

In recent days, Libya has been accused of torturing detainees.

The human rights group Amnesty International last week said several had died as a result of torture and, on Thursday, Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) announced a halt to its work in detention centers in Misrata. This was because, it claimed, detainees were being “tortured and denied urgent medical care.”

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba proposes new Road Map for holding elections, loans and land for youth and money for healthcare for war wounded

Cooperation agreements reached between Libyan and the Greek pharmaceutical and medical companies: Tripoli Chamber of Commerce

MSF said it had treated 115 people with torture wounds from interrogation sessions. Two detainees had died, one in October and another in November, within 30 minutes of being interrogated, Christopher Stokes, MSF general director, said.

The UN’s own High Commissioner for Human Rights, Navi Pillay, has also expressed her concerns about Libyan detainees being tortured.  In response to that, the Libyan ambassador to the UN, Mohammed Shalgham, announced on Wednesday that that Libya was working to try and stop such practices.  On the same day Al-Kib also announced on television that plans were in hand for the reorganization of Libyan prisons.

Meanwhile, at the AU summit on Sunday al-Kib called on African countries to extradite members of Qaddafi regime.  Saadi Qaddafi is in exile in Niger and his brothers Hannibal and Mohamed, along with sister Aisha and mother Safia, are in Algeria.

Al-Kib also called for a conference with interior and defense ministers from neighbouring countries to address the proliferation of weapons by exiled supporters of former dictator Muammar Qaddafi. There have been fears that Libyan weapons may have fallen into the hands of groups in the region such as al-Qaeda and Nigeria’s radical Boko Haram movement.  Last Thursday, a UN report suggested this may be the case.

“(There is) still a real threat from some of the armed remnants of the former regime who escaped outside the country and still roam freely. This is a threat for us, for neighboring countries and our shared relations,” Al-Kib told the AU.

  [/restrict]

Tags: featured

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Libya exits Africa Cup on a winning note

IMF worried about Libya's finances

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Medsky Airways adds a second Airbus 320 to its fleet

    Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.