No Result
View All Result
Thursday, February 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Zeidan’s kidnapper reported killed in Tripoli

byMichel Cousins
March 30, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Zeidan’s kidnapper reported killed in Tripoli

Abdulmonem Al-Said (Photo: Social media)

By Ashraf Abdul-Wahab.

Abdulmonem Al-Said (Photo: Social media)
Abdulmonem Al-Said (Photo: Facebook)

Tripoli, 14 July 2014:

It is reported that Abdulmonem Al-Said, the man who played a prime role in the kidnapping of former prime minister Ali Zeidan last October, has been killed along with two of his bodyguards on the airport road near the Ministry of Interior.

The killing has not been confirmed but a photo of a dead man closely resembling Al-Said has appeared on social media. The Libyan Revolutionaries Operations Room (LROR), which was also involved in Zeidan’s kidnapping, has accused the Zintani Sawaq Brigade of the killings.

LROR is part of the alliance of Islamist-leaning revolutionaries that launched the weekend attack on Sawaq and Qaaqaa Brigades that has resulted in the closure of Tripoli International Airport.

RELATED POSTS

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

Misrata Chamber to hold workshop on “Advance Consignment Information (ACI)’’ imported cargo tracking and registration system adopted by Libya

At the time of Zeidan’s abduction, Al-Said headed the Counter Crime Agency’s (CCA) bureau in Tripoli’s Fornaj district.  He was questioned about his role in the affair but never charged despite continuing to boast of his part in it.

Zintan Local Council was one of the bodies that demanded that he and all those involved be arrested and punished.

Since then, Al-Said was reported to have moved to head the CCA’s marine surveillance operations.

Last month, he was briefly kidnapped. He claimed afterwards that he had been tortured and that those behind his abduction were “a force belonging to the Ministry of Interior”. The reason for their doing so, he alleged, was because he had submitted documents to the Attorney General incriminating “Zeidan’s gang and his special militias” in what he claimed was the theft of LD 29 billion of state funds. He also implicated Prime Minister Abdullah Al-Thinni.

It is not clear at present to what extent he was involved in Operation Dawn against the Sawaq and Qaaqaa brigades, but it seems highly unlikely that he would not have been playing a significant role.

Both Sawaq and Qaaqaa are usually called Zintani brigades, however most of their members are Tripoli-based, but with family origins in Zintan – and therefore ties and loyalties to it. [/restrict] [/restrict]

Related Posts

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 18, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
Next Post

Government condemns Tripoli Airport attacks

Aman Bank closes Tripoli branches on Monday

Aman Bank closes Tripoli branches on Monday

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • National Development Agency signs partnership agreement with Signify Philips to enhance lighting projects in Libya

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

Misrata Chamber to hold workshop on “Advance Consignment Information (ACI)’’ imported cargo tracking and registration system adopted by Libya

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.