No Result
View All Result
Thursday, May 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Amazigh Supreme Council continues boycott of Constitutional Assembly

byCallum Paton
April 12, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Taziz Hasairi.

Tripoli, 12 April 2014:

The Amazigh Supreme Council (ASC) has said it will not cooperate with plans to elect the . . .[restrict]13 remaining seats  for the Constitutional Assembly, left vacant after the February elections because of boycotts, violence or threats of violence.

The General National Congress last month voted to instruct the Higher National Elections Commission (HNEC) to organise fresh polls in the affected constituencies and

HNEC announced on Wednesday that it had restarted registration for candidates for the 13 seats, including the two seats reserved for Amazighs who had boycotted the entire electoral process in February. It said potential candidates should register in either its Jadu or Ghariyan centres for the seats representing Zuwara and the Jebel Akhdar.

RELATED POSTS

Tripoli government forces regain control over Ras Jedir Libyan-Tunisian border crossing

Armed clashes between government forces and local Zuwara forces at Libyan-Tunisian border crossing – Tunisia closes border

However the ASC has said it has no intention of accepting the decision. The head of the council, Ibrahim Makhlouf, told the Libya Herald that these kinds of “half measures” would not be tolerated and that the Amazigh had made clear their demands to HNEC and the General National Congress (GNC) many times.

ASC member Yousef Hasairi said the decision to reopen registration at this point was not only a waste of time but also disrespectful. He said it was clear authorities were attempting to obfuscate the problem by not opening a registration office in Zuwara, the main Amazigh town and centre of one of the two seats reserved for the Amazigh

The ASC has said it will continue to boycott the constitutional assembly until the authorities accept a consensus principle. They stipulate that at least two-thirds of the entire 60-member assembly including all six Amazigh, Tebu and Tuareg members would have to agree to the proposals in the draft constitution on the name of the state (e.g. State of Libya, Republic of Libya or whatever), its identity, flag, national anthem and language(s) if they were to participate.

While the GNC voted last month to accept the consensus principle, the vote was widely dismissed by leading minority organisations because it was not properly defined. The deadlock over the issue means there will be further delays in the work of the Constitutional Assembly which cannot start its work of drafting the constitution until all 60 members take their seats.  [/restrict]

Tags: amazighASCboycottConstitutional AssemblyHNECLibya

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Two prisoners killed in attempted Tripoli prison break

Zawia road closed again

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

FX black-market has existed for years and decades, and eliminating it in a short period is impossible: CBL Governor Issa

Libyan Industry Union and National Economic and Social Development Board to sign MoU to support manufacturing business environment

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.